Superduper backup failed

Reaction score
I just tried to backup my HD for the first time. After a couple of hours it said
"x Failed to copy files from [xxx] to [xxx] "

It had done 54 GB of 57.
I looked in the log and the last item was red, and said this:

| 09:15:20 PM | Error | ditto: /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/PrivacyPreferences.nib/./keyedobjects.nib: Result too large

I have no idea what the solution is. What is the nest step?
Or does anyone recommend a backup program they prefer? There is another problem with this program - it will let me copy to either of my external hard drives, but for some strange reason it will only let me copy FROM one of them!
Thank you!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Are you certain the drive you're backing up to is large enough to handle the backup? What is the format of the external drive?

OP
J
Reaction score
Are you certain the drive you're backing up to is large enough to handle the backup? What is the format of the external drive?

The size shouldn't matter for it to appear on the window should it?
On "copy" menu I get this:
Macintosh HD
HD 1
HD 2
Disk Image ...

On "to" menu I get this:
Macintosh HD
HD 1
HD 2
HD 3
Disk Image ...

HD 1 and 2 are two partitions on one external drive, mac formatted. Disk Image... is just an program on my desktop. HD 3 is another external drive, formatted MS-DOS file system (FAT32).

It will not allow me to copy to HD 3. It says "HD-HU2 is formatted as Windows_FAT_32, which cannot properly host HFS+ files along with all their attributes, resources and ownership." That seems pretty silly to me.

But far worse is that HD 3 does not even appear in the "copy" menu! Why should I not be able to back up a drive formatted in FAT32? I need to have a drive in a format PCs can read. Is there no way on mac to back up such a drive?
(I have posted this also as a new post with a new subject heading, here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=387189#post387189 )

And, any ideas what I should do about the error which occurred while backing up my internal drive, as mentioned in the first post?

Thank you!
Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.