Sonnet CPU Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a nood to Apple, i got 2 old apples from a mate was moving and didn't have any space for them. They are 1. PowerMac G4 400 (AGP) 2. PowerMac G4 450 Cube. The Cube for some reason has Ubuntu Linux installed on it and the CD-RW struggles to eject cds.

I want to sell the Cube and invest the money in a Sonnet Encore ST G4 1.6GHz or 1.8Ghz CPU upgrade, But i've seen a G4 Quicksilver 867 on ebay for about the same price as the 1.8 CPU. I'm aware that there is a small difference in bus speed and ram speed but what i want to know is, would anyone recommend me selling both my current macs and buy the Quicksilver or sell the Cube and Buy the 1.8Ghz CPU upgrade.

Reaction score
It depends. I assume the Quicksilver 867 is a dual processor? If not I wouldn't consider it. 867mhz isnt a big enough jump.
Also do you know if your G4 400 is capable of a dual processor? If so I would look into dual processors with less mhz.
What are you planning to do with the computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It depends. I assume the Quicksilver 867 is a dual processor? If not I wouldn't consider it. 867mhz isnt a big enough jump.
Also do you know if your G4 400 is capable of a dual processor? If so I would look into dual processors with less mhz.
What are you planning to do with the computer?

While it is dual processor capable, I would not bother. The 100Mhz front side bus is the big hang-up here. IF you want to upgrade go with the 1.6 or 1.8Ghz G4 single for best performance.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed completely with Baggss. Go with just a single 1.6 or 1.8 and save your $$$. The 100Mhz Bus will choke the Dual 1.8. I have a Digital Audio that has a 133Mhz Bus and AGP4x and there the Dual works a bit better as there is a bit more memory bandwidth to feed the CPU's.

I wish I had some spare $$$ this month or I would make you an offer on the CUBE. Been wanting one for a long time now.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise guys ;D The 800Mhz(QS02) is a single core but has that bit extra in terms of memory bandwith, which to me means that if i upgrade it , it will run much faster than the the AGP with the same upgrade, obviously. :Cool: See included pics

I'm looking at buying this item, upgrading it and selling all my older Macs to cover the cost.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160112299253&rd=1&rd=1

apl2.JPG

apl1.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would sell the other two and grab the QS2 and upgrade it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
How much do you want for the Cube shipped to the US?

OP
D
Reaction score
Just bought the QS02 i refered to in my previous reply, will also upgrade it with some sort of Sonnet(dual core preferbly) chip once i get $$$ for selling the other 2 Macs. :D

I will probably sell the Cube for $400 as it is in perfect condition(450Mhz, 40GB HD, 256MB Ram). Will have to check about shipping to the US, but i suppose shipping there should workout to about $60-$100.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.