weird icon when booting up (folder with question mark)

Reaction score
Hi,
When i boot up I get a weird folder icon in the center of the screen, the folder will ahve a question mark on it? Does anyone know whats happening. After the folder icon shows up my apple icon comes up then I can login without any problems. Seems like I got some errors needing debugging going on.

Reaction score
First step AFAIK, is check in:

System Preferences -> Startup Disk

And ensure that your HD is highlighted as being the system you want to use to start up your computer.

Also navigate to:

Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disc Utility (or just press Shift + Command ( key) + U to launch the Utilities Folder)

Once Disc Utility has launched, verify/repair your Macs Permissions and Hard Disk. See if that helps out with things. If not, report back here and we'll take it from there ....

Picture 3.png

M

MacHeadCase

When you see that icon, it means the system can't readily find a valid OS. It could be because somehow your settings tell it to look for it on a network (I've seen some app installs do this) or, if all the setting in the System Prefs seem correct, it could be because your system needs some cleaning up.

If it does need cleaning up, download MainMenu, if you don't already have it, and run all the cleaning tasks and also the rebuilding tasks (you'll need to restart of course). That might fix it.

If you have DiskWarrior I would also run that: it will repair the directory and is a must-have utility for me.

OP
V
Reaction score
First step AFAIK, is check in:

System Preferences -> Startup Disk

And ensure that your HD is highlighted as being the system you want to use to start up your computer.

Also navigate to:

Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disc Utility (or just press Shift + Command (? key) + U to launch the Utilities Folder)

Once Disc Utility has launched, verify/repair your Macs Permissions and Hard Disk. See if that helps out with things. If not, report back here and we'll take it from there ....

thanks worked like a charm, thanks all!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.