Ibooks Vs PowerBooks

J

Joeytpg

Ok People........i have to make a choice, or the ibook or the powerbook......since i can't get a eMAC (that seems to be the BEST choice....the BANG for the Buck!...but i need a notebook)

so.... is there MUCH difference in speed between this two?...let's not talk about RAM....let's imagine that both will have a standard 512 mb RAM (to start) but i know it varies from processor to processor (ibook and powerbook)

I'll be using it for Word processing M$ OFFICE for MAC stuff, Internet (navegation, Chat, uploading photos and videos on the internet), presentations, Photoshop, etc.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK!...don't gimme the "this should be enough" i wanna keep this notebook for at least 4 years.....so i don't want to to start running SLOW after having a bbunch of files and videos and programs on my Hard Drive.

gimme opinions and options....

is it really Worth it (the extra $$$ for the Powerbook, TAKING AWAY THE OBVIOUS "Beautifulness"......i'm talking about the overall performance. Processor, screen, keyboard, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the help guys....

I love this site, and you people are incredible.....never been to such a friendly forum before..... ;)

OP
C

Chamorro

For what you said: I say go for the Powerbook, either 12" or 15" You can get PowerBooks w/ a SuperDrive and a larger HD, better video and better connectivity options than the iBooks. The 15" is at the top edge of the portability scale, IMO, but has more power and screen space. Go 12" if portability is higher than 7 on a scale of 10.

iBooks offer better bang-for-the-buck, but in 4 years' time they probably won't meet your needs.

PS - PowerBooks are a little more expandable to help keep up w/ what's out in a couple years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'll be using it for Word processing M$ OFFICE for MAC stuff, Internet (navegation, Chat, uploading photos and videos on the internet), presentations, Photoshop, etc.
if that is all you are going to use it for, then either one would be fine.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK!...don't gimme the "this should be enough" i wanna keep this notebook for at least 4 years.....so i don't want to to start running SLOW on my ass after having a bbunch of files and videos and programs on my Hard Drive.

gimme opinions and options...
I had a 6 year old powerbook that still ran like a champ and I still have a 5 year old iMac. The only thing I have upgraded in the iMac is the RAM. The plain and simple fact is that Macs last a heck of a lot longer than a PC ever will. I ran Office X, Photoshop, Cubase SX, and various games on both of those with no performance issues.

Ok People........i have to make a choice, or the ibook or the powerbook......since i can't get a eMAC (that seems to be the BEST choice....the BANG for the Buck!...but i need a notebook)
just out of curiosity...why do you need a notebook. I know they are more convenient at times..being portable and all, but I would hardly call them necessary...again, I was just curious

Good luck with your choice whatever it is!:D

OP
J

Joeytpg

just out of curiosity...why do you need a notebook. I know they are more convenient at times..being portable and all, but I would hardly call them necessary...again, I was just curious

Good luck with your choice whatever it is!:D[/QUOTE]

Because, i will in a different country, and i'll be left on my own, not being able to call out a friend if i need to run over his house if i'm too far from home (my MAc), plus, i'll be doing a lot of studying at the university's library, so with the airport card and the notebok i can study, do school's work and surf the net while i'm there, or while i'm out.

It's just EASIER when you're in a place where you know a few people and you can borrow the computer to do a few urgent things here and there.....but i'll be in Spain, doing Master's studies....and i think it's better if a buy a notebook that i can take it to wherever i go to, and use it with no holds barrier understand?

but of course, after that (may in a couple of years or 3 years i'll try to get a desktop (eMAc, iMAC, etc.)

what do you think of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I definitely think the powerbook is the way to go if you want good power for 4 years.. I have a powerbook G4 667 MHZ and at this point it runs Panther beautifully and I got it 3 years ago.. and Im not sure when Im going to need a new one :)

Also Joey.. please stop cursing, I have to keep editing your posts all over this forum and I put in the notes of why I edited it, "Due to profanity" but I don't think you have been seeing those notes. It's against the rules and from your posts I see that you want to be a good part of these forums and besides the cursing, you've had a lot of good input and I perceive you being a good guy. So we would all appreciate it if you cut out the cursing.

Thanks!

OP
J

Joeytpg

Murlyn said:
I definitely think the powerbook is the way to go if you want good power for 4 years.. I have a powerbook G4 667 MHZ and at this point it runs Panther beautifully and I got it 3 years ago.. and Im not sure when Im going to need a new one :)

Also Joey.. please stop cursing, I have to keep editing your posts all over this forum and I put in the notes of why I edited it, "Due to profanity" but I don't think you have been seeing those notes. It's against the rules and from your posts I see that you want to be a good part of these forums and besides the cursing, you've had a lot of good input and I perceive you being a good guy. So we would all appreciate it if you cut out the cursing.

Thanks!

oops! hehehe sorry Murlyn, hehe haven't even noticed that ...it's just the way i talk.....but i'll keep it in mind for other posts.....and i understand..... it's not Good at all to have that kind of languaje in such a "professional" forum as this...

everyone here is so great......i haven't switched to mac still.......but i'll be a very happy User when i do.......this family is great! :p

once again, sorry for my cursing guys...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, it's ok... If your switch is anything like mine, well it's just a delight! Such a relief from the dark dodgy days of worm and virus evasion! :)

OP
F

fiz

witeshark said:
Yeah, it's ok... If your switch is anything like mine, well it's just a delight! Such a relief from the dark dodgy days of worm and virus evasion! :)

I avoided that by switching my desktop to Linux ;).

OP
U

Uni

i would say in terms of survivability over a 4 year period and the fact u r a student and probably dont have a HUGE budget (i know, im still in school and had 2 pay for my Mac), the iBook is the way to go. Spen the extra couple of hundred dollars, get the 14" with the 933mhz processor and upgrade the graphics, and the computer will last the 4 years easily. I bought my new iBook 14" for the same reasons u stated, and in some ways i am happy i DIDN'T buy the PowerBook due to the excessive cost.

Uni/.

OP
J

Joeytpg

do you guys think that there is a chance apple will reduce Powerbooks & ibooks prices after summer?? (like around August or something??

OP
U

Uni

i doubt it. They are both relativley new machines, so don't get your hopes up. just hunt around and get the best deal u can. Also i would reccomend getting a bigger screen - there is less strain on your eyes when typing for long hours...

i say go out and buy a 14" 933mhz iBook - bang for buck they r the bomb!!!

Uni/.

OP
K

KLank

Well, I've never seen a case where a couple of years down the road where someone has said they wished they had gotten the slower machine. Of course, I've been using Intel based machines all my life and just swiched to Mac, but I can't imagine that it would be much different. Although, with the price difference you may be happy with the iBook for years and enjoy the extra money now.

You mentioned that you would be going with 512MB of memory. Just remember that for the cost of a 512MB upgrade from Apple, that you could get a 1GB upgrade through a company like Crucial. So which ever model you choose get the memory yourself and you can save money that way. I'm sure you'll be happy with either the iBook or the Powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
Joeytpg said:
do you guys think that there is a chance apple will reduce Powerbooks & ibooks prices after summer?? (like around August or something??

do not hope for that. what i have seen from apple for past 2 years, they do not change the price. they keep upgrading their maschines and stick with old price.
on the other hand some retailers may reduce the price on some older models they have in stock after upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Get a refurbished powerbook.. you can sometimes get a refurbished powerbook for the price of a new ibook :) Ok maybe a little more, but it's still cheaper! :)

OP
J

Joeytpg

Murlyn said:
Get a refurbished powerbook.. you can sometimes get a refurbished powerbook for the price of a new ibook :) Ok maybe a little more, but it's still cheaper! :)

oh definitely.....i'm getting a Refurb .......it's like $300 less.....with that i can get other stuff like "mouse" (hate those "finger-pads" things on notebooks), i can also get MORE RAM (YEAH! :D)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.