Impending switcheroo... RAM upgrade?

J

jaetique

After ages with WinXP, virus issues and constant defragmentations, I'm ready to leap into the world of shiny apples. The fact that the new range of iBooks are gorgeous has nothing to do with it.

Really.

Anyway, I've pretty much decided to go with an iBook (12". G4 1GHz) due to financial constraints and application. But I wanted to run RAM upgrade by some pros (at this point, anyone who's used to OSX).

My applications for the iBook would be this:
Mainly: Word processing, presentations, spreadsheets, browsing the web, chat programs, music. (Anything remotely teacher-ish.)
Others (for leisure): graphics and design (programs such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Flash)

I know it boils down to the number of programs I run at the same time. It might be something like this:
iChat, MSN, dreamweaver & photoshop (I usually run dreamweaver and photoshop as a pair when I work on my website, graphic sizes also reasonably small), Safari, iTunes, and email

Is it reasonable to expect 256MB RAM to hold out well?

and

Should I be considering a RAM upgrade right off the bat or should I wait for a bit to see how much I need before upgrading?

Thanks so much for your contributions. :D

By the way, Appleworks 6 vs. Office v.X? Which do you prefer and why? (This is rather important due to work.)

iJanet (soon soon)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
RAM should be at least 256 for OS X 512 is really a good idea. iChat transers effortlessly to AIM account - that's what I did! There are different maintanence in Mac but they can be automated by Mac Janitor and some others

OP
C

Chamorro

I'd recommend at least 512mb.
I use Office X, and I think it's great. Haven't used AppleWorks, but it should suffice for most tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
definitely get at least 512MB of RAM, but not from Apple.
You should get whatever the minimun Apple offers and get the upgrade from either Crucial or NewEgg or someplace like that.

OP
J

jaetique

Thanks for the assist, guys. I'm from Singapore though, so I'm not entirely sure what's available here.

Devilboy, what exactly is Crucial, a store of some sort? Is there perhaps a manufacturer of iBook RAM that I should look out for instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
jaetique said:
Thanks for the assist, guys. I'm from Singapore though, so I'm not entirely sure what's available here.

Devilboy, what exactly is Crucial, a store of some sort? Is there perhaps a manufacturer of iBook RAM that I should look out for instead?

www.crucial.com

its a webstore that specializes in computer RAM

OP
T

TylerMoney

I'd definelty get more ram......and then you'll absolutely have no problem running as much as you want. I run iChat, iTunes, photoshop, illustrator, and InDesign all at the same time...plus browsing the net also....

OP
S

sebeck

Yeah this 256 just isn't cuttin it. I think they should have shipped with no less than 512 but i understand they are trying to appeal to switchers like myself by keeping cost down. They barely had me at the $999..but then i got the federal discount and they totally had me. haha

OP
F

falltime

D3v1L80Y said:
definitely get at least 512MB of RAM, but not from Apple.
You should get whatever the minimun Apple offers and get the upgrade from either Crucial or NewEgg or someplace like that.

Crucial is a memory fabber, it is also sold at Newegg.

But crucial sucks, get corsair (value select)

-> www.newegg.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.