Weird Sleep Issue

Reaction score
I've been having this problem for a while now. Whenever I shut the lid it goes to sleep, or so I think. Most of the time it does go to sleep, with the light pulsating about 8 secods after the lid is shut. Sometimes, after the light is pulsaitng, even if I just bump it or shut the cabinet door or move it makes that screech sound when it turns on. The light then stops pulsating and then just stays on with the fans blowing at normal speed, I then open the lid and nothing no cursor, no image nothing. Finally I try to turn it off then I have to hold the power button for about 15 seconds until it turns off. The mac has done this about 10 times already. Is there a fix? The really weird part was that one time after opening it the screen was dark and began (slowly) to show the desktop, there was a bar on the bottom (like a progress bar) that was pretty weird.

Sorry if it's long post but I can't make it any shorter!

Reaction score
When opening and the display is black try turning the brightness up with the fn-F2.

The one case where the screen was dim with a progress bar at the bottom sounds as if the battery died and it was restoring everything from the virtual memory (think thats what it is) off the HDD.

Do put the machine to sleep through the apple menu or power button? It sounds as if you are just closing the lid, but the closing the cabinet confuses me. If thats the case I'm not sure what could be the cause of the light sleeping. The only thing I can suggest is lightly stroking the top while singing a lullaby.

OP
C
Reaction score
Nope my battery was not dead at the time. And about the screen brightness thing, I have mine to prompt my password to log back in, that didn't even show . Is there a difference between closing the lid and sleeping from the power button or menu bar? enlighten me please...

Maybe I have been singing the wrong lullaby?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
Nope my battery was not dead at the time. And about the screen brightness thing, I have mine to prompt my password to log back in, that didn't even show . Is there a difference between closing the lid and sleeping from the power button or menu bar? enlighten me please...

Maybe I have been singing the wrong lullaby?

after reading this thread, ive also started to wonder if there is a difference in putting my mbp to sleep via closing the lid and putting it to sleep via the menu.

since i got my mbp ive just been closing the lid

Reaction score
There is no difference between the options of putting it to sleep. I asked because I have had my PB sleep with the lid open and when I closed the lid it woke up. This is why when you said cabinet I was confused, as I thought you might be referring the the lid.

I still suggest trying the brightness adjustment even if you have it to prompt you with a password. I myslef have had my screen black upon waking from sleep and this resolved the issue.
With the screen black you can try placing a light behind the apple logo and see if you can see the password prompt. If so you just need to adjust the brightness.

As for the lullaby my PB likes Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. I used a process of elimination to find that out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.