Is it just me or the intel Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
I notice that when I restart the Mac it doesn't have memory like the G4 iMac!
What I mean is every time I power up I have to reload everything on sites, pictures/graphics and other stuff, the G4 must have had a memory because it was there when I powered up and had remembered everything.

Anyone else notice this? If you can't understand my post, just light the blue touch paper and stand back:teen:

PS: no smart remarks please, it's to early in the morning down here in Gods country ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm not sure what you mean. My Intel Macs behave exactly like my old G4 and G5 Macs.

Are you sure you're talking about sleep vs restart?

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
I'm not sure what you mean. My Intel Macs behave exactly like my old G4 and G5 Macs.

Are you sure you're talking about sleep vs restart?

Ummmm, OK, when I shut down iMac intel and the G4 and then restart, I have to wait till ..say I'm on a message board site with lots of pictures on, with the iMac I have to wait till they all reload (again) but on the G4 as soon as I open the site they are still there?..makes sense now???

sorry, can't be anymore clearer:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Ummmm, OK, when I shut down iMac intel and the G4 and then restart, I have to wait till ..say I'm on a message board site with lots of pictures on, with the iMac I have to wait till they all reload (again) but on the G4 as soon as I open the site they are still there?..makes sense now???
sorry, can't be anymore clearer:confused:

I assume what is going on is a browser issue. You have the settings (G4) to only download files rarely (once a week, daily, etc...), so it uses the same images and such since your last visit. With your Intel iMac, the cache is emptied after the computer is turned off or the browser is closed so it has to download everything again. I assume you started this thread because you are looking to repeat what the G4 does??
What browser are you using?
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
I think he means say your on a G4 Mac and a Intel Mac

When he restarted his G4 Imac with programs on the computer still, when it boots up, they come back up.

So its like Opening iPhoto, restarting, when it boots up again its like what you had before the restart.

Like saving into the memory..

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume what is going on is a browser issue. You have the settings (G4) to only download files rarely (once a week, daily, etc...), so it uses the same images and such since your last visit. With your Intel iMac, the cache is emptied after the computer is turned off or the browser is closed so it has to download everything again. I assume you started this thread because you are looking to repeat what the G4 does??
What browser are you using?
Bryan

Bryan, I'm using Mozilla 1.7.13

Reaction score
I don't know about macs specifically but on a Linux desktop there are "save session" features that restore your desktop as it was when you powered down. Apart from that I got an applescript I put together that launches all my favorite stuff when I boot up. I can post it if you want. Also, I read somewhere that Apple recommends placing the iMac in standby rather than turning it off and on every time you use it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bryan, I'm using Mozilla 1.7.13

Using the same browser on both systems?

My best guess is that on the intel machine - in the browser preferences - there is a box checked that has it empty the cache, history, etc. whenever the browser is closed. I personally use this setting in all of my browsers to keep the system as lean as possible.

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank's people, am messing around in Preffs now..LOL:spook:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.