I just got one!!!

P

psychotoe

Hello all, I would just like to say I just got my first Mac, I have done the switch from PC to Mac and I got the 1.25Ghz eMac with 256 DDR Ram Expandable to 1gig 80gig HD at 7200rpm and a super drive in it! I have not recived it yet cause it's going to take a week for them to order, but I can't wait to get it. 17" flat CRT. Working on my music, Pics, Creating dvds and editing photos will be amazing. I pretty much can use the sofware it comes with but my question is this:

I know that the new OS is Unix based, or all the Mac OS's are unix based (I think anyway) Now I hope that this does not seem like a dumb question but Linux is also Unix based, is coding similer on the Mac as it would be in Linux?

Are there any books you recomend to learn the new os inside and out?

And why the **** is the stand for the e-Mac $95.00 Canadian? I find it expensive for a stand!

But anyway, I'm real happy to switch over I had enough of Windows!!

OP
B

Badger

psychotoe said:
Hello all, I would just like to say I just got my first Mac, I have done the switch from PC to Mac and I got the 1.25Ghz eMac with 256 DDR Ram Expandable to 1gig 80gig HD at 7200rpm and a super drive in it! I have not recived it yet cause it's going to take a week for them to order, but I can't wait to get it. 17" flat CRT. Working on my music, Pics, Creating dvds and editing photos will be amazing. I pretty much can use the sofware it comes with but my question is this:

I know that the new OS is Unix based, or all the Mac OS's are unix based (I think anyway) Now I hope that this does not seem like a dumb question but Linux is also Unix based, is coding similer on the Mac as it would be in Linux?

Are there any books you recomend to learn the new os inside and out?

And why the **** is the stand for the e-Mac $95.00 Canadian? I find it expensive for a stand!

But anyway, I'm real happy to switch over I had enough of Windows!!

Yes, Linux and OS X share the unix heritage so coding is similar. For an overall intro and overview of OS X you could look at "Mac OS X - Panther Edition" by David Pogue. It is part of the "Missing Manual" series. It includes a few chapters about unix and the Terminal tool.

I agree that the base is overpriced. In fact I skipped it and bought a TV pivot plate at Ikea. It doesn't adjust for tilt angle but it only cost $20.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram
And that does what, witeshark?

OP
D

dtx3000

and apple > software update: the new iTunes (4.5) is awesome. converts wma to aac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Joeth said:
And that does what, witeshark?
That is system maintanence - rotates out logs, basically a bit of system clean up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
OP
B

bru

I'm can handle some CLI (but not cron), but I thought it would helpful for the other guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah! The CLI is such a powerful tool! I made my terminal green on black backround -- sweet! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.