Importing Contacts

Reaction score
Anyone know how to import contacts from macmail to gmail? I know there's a simple answer, but when I save the contacts to a folder it saves them in a Vcard format, Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Anyone know how to import contacts from macmail to gmail? I know there's a simple answer, but when I save the contacts to a folder it saves them in a Vcard format, Thanks in advance!

Hi GulfVetSAF,

Gmail allows you to import your contacts through the CSV (comma-separated values) file format.

Here is a link to an AppleScript which outputs the people in the Address Book.app to a CSV file which is designed to be imported by Gmail.

Address Book To CSV

This script uses Address Book and Text Edit; when it's done, just save the new text edit document as filename.csv to your Desktop, and then open Gmail and import the filename.csv file.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Pulse, thank you. However, I'm only a month "mac aware." I've never used scripts before but I love learning and I think this will be a good way to start... but, I'm not sure where to begin. LOL I downloaded the script and am ready for more instruction. :) Thanks

Reaction score
Pulse, thank you. However, I'm only a month "mac aware." I've never used scripts before but I love learning and I think this will be a good way to start... but, I'm not sure where to begin. LOL I downloaded the script and am ready for more instruction. :) Thanks

Cancel that last advice, GulfVetSaf as I've found an infinitely easier method.

Here's the link.

I have already tried this and it works like a treat. I also tried that applescript which for some reason didn't work ....

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Pulse, thanks again but that link doesnt work? I would like to know how to run the scripts though... glad you tried it first! LOL Again, I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I had to import my DVD list into a dvd library program using csv.
I simply opened my list, selected all, copied, and pasted as special in Neo Office spreadsheet, then saved as csv.

Might that work?

Reaction score
Pulse, I googled it and came up with a little script here: address book exporter

Guess what GulfVetSAF? That link you posted took me to the exact same AddressBook2CSVExporter.app that I found for you ... why my link is a dud is wierd cos I always check my links in the preview post view before submiting my replies ...

As to why my 1st script failed ... I can only hazard a guess based on my observations when I tested both methods:

* In the 1st method, an AppleScript ran, launching my AddressBook and TextEdit and writing my Contacts to file, but I was only able to save it as a .txt file instead of the promised .csv file. Gmails Import Contact option didn't recognise the .txt file so it failed to import any contacts.

* In the 2nd method, the application I downloaded produced a abcxv.csv file with a NeoOffice icon on it. Gmail successfully imported all my contacts this time.

A .csv file looks similiar to a Microsoft Excel file, with lots of data entered into tables so NeoOffice was the only app I had installed that could produce this file.

From this I am left wondering if I was able to set NeoOffice as the default App to launch instead of TextEdit - then the AppleScript would probably work. TextEdit doesn't appear to be able to save to .csv, so there's no point in it launching IMHO. I don't know how to modify an AppleScript, or if it's even possible.

That script BTW was originally intended to import AddressBook Contacts into Mozilla Thunderbird, an OpenSource Email Client. I thought it would also work with Gmail (they both need .csv files before they can import the Contacts), but have since discovered that it doesn't and I'm not savvy enough to know the exact reason so I'm just guessin'.

It all worked out for the better in the end so it's all good.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Pulse, thanks again for the effort. I was curious thought about the original script (regardless of it working or not).

? open applescript and paste code and then click on "run"

Am I correct this would be the proceedure? As I said earlier, I'm new to this and would love the input... I'm retired and have a lot of time to play (and learn)... would love to learn simple scripting. Thanks

Reaction score
Pulse, thanks again for the effort. I was curious thought about the original script (regardless of it working or not).

? open applescript and paste code and then click on "run"

Am I correct this would be the proceedure? As I said earlier, I'm new to this and would love the input... I'm retired and have a lot of time to play (and learn)... would love to learn simple scripting. Thanks

I think you'd be really interested in THIS link, GVS.

The default home for that script you downloaded would be:

Macintosh HD -> Library -> Scripts -> AddressBookScripts

I just dropped the script into the above location and it was available via the FinderMenuBar icon menu that my link talks about.

There are some really great scripts there that I use fairly regularly. I don't fully understand Automator but the scripts that come pre-written on our Macs are very usefull but you have to know how to enable the icon for them to be easily accessible.

BTW, the other method you mention about running that or any script is valid too AFAIK, but I've only ever used the method in that link above.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Pulse, I just this morning saw the post with the script tip link... that's killer man and gives me a good way to play around with them (as well as see the code). I appreciate the continued useful input!

Scott

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.