Deleting/Uninstalling Software

Reaction score
Im pretty new to mac and I LOVE IT!! its so much better than pc... btu anyway, how exactly do you make sure that programs have been deleted from your computer, and to make sure u cant recover it or anything... I just use secure emptying trash, tips would be appriciated

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im pretty new to mac and I LOVE IT!! its so much better than pc... btu anyway, how exactly do you make sure that programs have been deleted from your computer, and to make sure u cant recover it or anything... I just use secure emptying trash, tips would be appriciated

Welcome to Mac-Forums and congrats on your new Mac. You'll find a wealth of information here as many switcher's have posted questions like this one in the past. You'll find that the search feature can be quite handy when you have questions.

AppDelete and AppZapper will both remove all traces of the application. Alternatively, you can use Spotlight to search for traces of the application, but that's not always fool-proof and you could inadvertantly delete an important, unrelated file.

Reaction score
Second AppZapper, works great and easy to use (as most things with mac seem to be). :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Second AppZapper, works great and easy to use (as most things with mac seem to be). :)

Keep in mind that AppDelete is free. Although I like AppZapper quite a bit and do use it, I wish I would have known about AppDelete before I registered it (I guess supporting Shareware developers is a "good thing" anyway...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Macs are great, for the most part you just drag and dropp onto the trash bin and they are gone. As the others have said, AppZapper is great but for those realy hard to shift stains on your system try this - SuperEmptyTrash http://osx.iusethis.com/app/superemptytrash

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, timboyx!

Just to add a little to the ton of info already included in this thread, be aware that some apps come with their own uninstaller and if that is the case it is best to use it. I am thinking here of heavy duty apps like M$ Office, Adobe programs.

So just make sure which app you want to get rid of and make sure it doesn't carry its own uninstaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16Ghz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD
I use CleanApp.. it's quite useful and very easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Keep in mind that AppDelete is free. Although I like AppZapper quite a bit and do use it, I wish I would have known about AppDelete before I registered it (I guess supporting Shareware developers is a "good thing" anyway...).

Wow, never new about Appdelete either. Definatly will be downloading that!

Reaction score
I have heard of Appdelete throwing in applications or files of similar name, but of no relation to the intended uninstall. This was a lil while back and may have been fixed in an update though.

Word of warning
- Make sure you look over the files that it finds and be positive they are what you want to delete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.