FireFox Issue

Reaction score
Ok, so this issue in FireFox for OS X has been bothering me for a while (I switched only a year ago). I finally decided I would post it here for you geniuses.

If you are filling out a form and there is a drop down, or checkboxes, you cannot tab over to them and change their value with your keyboard.

For instance, on a PC I tab to State and press C three times for Connecticut.

Is it possible to do this on a Mac? Is it just a setting somewhere in FireFox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Actually in Firefox you should be able to start typing 'Connecticut' and it will find it for you (once you are in the dropdown list). Typing 'C' over and over to scroll through is something I only have to do in IE.

OP
K
Reaction score
The problem is that I can never tab to the drop down. If I click on the drop down I can press the letter and it jumps down. But on any form on the web, when I tab through it always skips drop downs and checkboxes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blueberry iMac G3, 233MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, MacOS 10.3.9
I've noticed this too. I think its some hang-up with the way OS X renders form elements. If it doesn't "need" the keyboard (i.e. you click a check box, you click a drop-down, etc), they don't tab to it. It seems like they didn't think about people who are keyboard users, through and through. I've noticed that Macs are very mouse-centered. I don't really like that, but I live with it. Needing more time to complete tasks is a small price to pay for the goodness of Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
There's a setting in System Preferences for this - Keyboard and Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts, Full keyboard access at the bottom.

Reaction score
I've noticed that Macs are very mouse-centered. I don't really like that, but I live with it. Needing more time to complete tasks is a small price to pay for the goodness of Mac.
There are 109 (I think) keyboard shortcuts listed here.

Another list of about 200 is here. Some of these are for Safari, however.
A repository for every keyboard secret in OS X. Some of these are well known, some are not. Shortcuts in the Menu category are common rather than universal.

OP
K
Reaction score
There's a setting in System Preferences for this - Keyboard and Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts, Full keyboard access at the bottom.
Oh my god. That is awesome. Thanks so much.

I am so mad at myself for waiting a year to come here for this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Oh my god. That is awesome. Thanks so much.

I am so mad at myself for waiting a year to come here for this

The first thing I did with my iMac was to click on everything ;) Its full of little things like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.