Clean inside after 2 years

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I meant to mention in the thread on adding a PCI card that the Power Mac had not had the case opened in about 2 years, since it arrived and the RAM was upgraded. I was quite happily surprised at the real lack of dust that was inside.

I did get the vaccum and removed some, however compared to other desktops it seemed to have much less accumulation. Must be something in the design?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
That's excellent. I've opened up a gateway and two dell towers in my computing experience (which is not extensive) and the dells were quite dust laden!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I dated a girl once who had a windows box actually catch fire because of dust accumulation, and my acer laptop would overtemp and shut down on me until I opened it up and cleaned out about an inch of dust in the fan vent.

Proud to report that after nearly 2 years of ownership, my G5 is also relatively dust-free. Be aware that most of it collects in the very bottom where the power supply fans are and you can't reach this spot by taking the side panel off. Just FYI.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Proud to report that after nearly 2 years of ownership, my G5 is also relatively dust-free. Be aware that most of it collects in the very bottom where the power supply fans are and you can't reach this spot by taking the side panel off. Just FYI.

I will have to check that out.

I have owned several gateway computers and worked with many other brands and the amount of dust after a year or so that gets inside them is huge, I just fully expected similar with the G5. Hopefully whatever dust prevention is in the design continues into the Mac Pro's for when I upgrade in a few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
The difference with the powermacs is that they're set up like a big wind-tunnel, so most of the dust actually tends to blow through. Most Dells, Gateways, etc have a lot of corners and sharp angles that collect dust very quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.