Can't install OS 9 or OS X on my cube

Reaction score
'lo all,

Right, it goes like this. A friend gave me his G4 PowerMac Cube 450Mhz which has Ubuntu Linux installed... :confused: I have the original "Software Install" disks from my normal G4 PowerMac and and an OSX 10.1 upgrade cd. Thinking that both the G4 and Cube G4 are PowerMacs, I tried booting the cube with the Software Install cd in and holding down c, but to no luck at all. Will a retail pack OSX do the trick or is there something else that i need to do?

Reaction score
The original pre-OS X install disks (including 9) had "enablers" for the specific machines they came with. OS X kept up the tradition that forces the purchase of generic installers.

OP
D
Reaction score
So, basically I need to get the original install disks for the cube.

Reaction score
Just a thought. Maybe OS 9 on the G4 install disks is generic because of the dual-boot Classic business that Apple was selling at the time of the switchover to X. It might load on its own.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just a thought. Maybe OS 9 on the G4 install disks is generic because of the dual-boot Classic business that Apple was selling at the time of the switchover to X. It might load on its own.

I've tried the powermac and imac G4 install disks, no luck. I'll get a generic install cd off ebay and try again.

Thanks for the help :batman:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.