I took the plunge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
And got a Mac Pro. I set it up last night downloading all the updates and re installing my software. One thing that i am a little confused is what do i need to do to make it wireless? I checked the apple site and I found the airport card, but it looks really small and i'm not sure if that will fit in the Mac Pro. Can someone let me know what i need to get a wireless card in it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It looks like it is soldered straight on the motherboard, as with the iMac.

Does it not say AirPort in your network settings? It should say 'Airport is turned on but not connected to any network'.

Reaction score
I checked the apple site and I found the airport card, but it looks really small and i'm not sure if that will fit in the Mac Pro.
It does, because it's already there.
Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11g standard; 802.11n capable with optional 802.11n enabler)(2)
The optional 802.11n enabler costs $4.99 — or something — to enable it, thanks to the U.S. Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like it is soldered straight on the motherboard, as with the iMac.

Does it not say AirPort in your network settings? It should say 'Airport is turned on but not connected to any network'.

No. The only thing i get is the LAN (Built in ethernet).

Remember, I have the Desktop (Mac Pro) not Laptop (MacBook Pro) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Mac Pro doesn't have built in WiFi? :eek:

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro doesn't have built in WiFi? :eek:

When i look at the configuration options on apple.com it says airport extreme. But I got mine refurbished so it never asked me if i wanted to add it. When i was looking to find out what i needed to make it wireless (without buying an external USB) I found THIS but I dont know if it will work in my Mac Pro, or where to put it. It looks tiny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
No, it does not come standard its an add on...as it was when I bought the powermac.

In the configuration it says its available.

Mac said:
About AirPort Extreme
Use AirPort Extreme in your Mac Pro to join a wireless network, or share your network connection wirelessly with another computer. You can even stream music from iTunes to your stereo using an AirPort Express base station.

AirPort Extreme is based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification and offers up to five times the performance and twice the range of 802.11g wireless networks. AirPort Extreme allows your AirPort Extreme-enabled Mac Pro to communicate with local AirPort Extreme networks or with other Wi-Fi certified 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g networks, including earlier versions of Apple's AirPort Extreme Base Station and the AirPort Express Base Station.

Notes:
Wireless Internet access requires a wireless-enabled computer, a base station or other access point, and Internet access (fees may apply). Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort and AirPort Extreme.

Performance is based on a comparison with Apple's 802.11g products. Comparison assumes AirPort Extreme network with 802.11n-enabled computer. Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network. Accessing the wireless network requires an AirPort- or AirPort Extreme-enabled computer or other Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g-enabled computer. Actual performance will vary based on range, connection rate, site conditions, size of network, and other factors. Range will vary with site conditions.

Does not specify the part number, does the manual give an optional part number?

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called Apple and they told me that the one i mentioned in my previous post is the one I need. So now i will be looking at the manual to find out where to put it.

Reaction score
Wireless?

Why would you need wireless internet on this thing....plan on lugging it around anytime soon. Id rather hook it up directly and get much higher speeds.

Reaction score
Exactly. The only point i can see of having it wireless enabled is if you were unable to position it conviently near a telephone outlet.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly. The only point i can see of having it wireless enabled is if you were unable to position it conviently near a telephone outlet.

I don't connect via dialup so i dont need a telephone outlet. Where my cable modem and switch is located is to far away for me to run a cable. I could run a cable but i would need to run it past the front door and the carpet i have sucks and i can tuck it underneath (the joys of renting). I wont be lugging around the Mac Pro but the wireless is more convienent and less messy. since i dont do gaming on it i dont need a super fast connection to the cable modem.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the card today but it look like i need to take it in and have an apple dealer/store install. does anyone know if this can be done without them? If so, how?

Reaction score
No you really need to take the mac pro into an apple store or authorized service center

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also noticed now that the airport extreme card is not compatible. i need to get the bluetooth wireless kit. oh well. i guess the Mac Pro is designed more for wired and not wireless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.