Root login problem in 10.3.3

A

azstech

I installed 10.3.3 on a new hard drive and wanted to enable root access.

I enabled root account using all possible methods - with NetInfo, through terminal, with Installer disk (reset password) and there is still no "Other" option on login screen.

There was never any problem in Jaguar or previous system. Is this a bug or a feature?

I need to log as root to do extensive work with Apache and web sites, I got used working in root. Is there any way to log as root in 10.3.3????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hmm.. I just enabled it in netinfo and then gave it a password and it has worked for me.. I just installed 10.3.3 also... I didn't realize that was what the whole Other.. thing was on my login screen *laugh* I couldnt figure out where that came from! :) I did a clean install though so I don't know if that is the difference...

OP
A

azstech

This is probably just a glitch in installing!

Murlyn said:
Hmm.. I just enabled it in netinfo and then gave it a password and it has worked for me.. I just installed 10.3.3 also... I didn't realize that was what the whole Other.. thing was on my login screen *laugh* I couldnt figure out where that came from! :) I did a clean install though so I don't know if that is the difference...

I did a clean install also on a new hard drive. It looks that my installation went bad - there is no other explanation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah either it was a bad installation or you tried too many different things :) Would you want to try installing again?

OP
A

azstech

Yes, I did reinstall starting with 10.3.1, then activated root account and only then updated to 10.3.3. This is the advice I got from another guy!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Hehehe... The first time I enabled root it magicamatically dissappeared. So I just did it again and it stayed. My bro told me it's just a small Unix hiccup that sometimes happens -- no worries. I love how OS X makes it named "other" in the loggin screen! Being a 'nix type, I had to have my root access! Remember to not be root on line! :) :D

OP
A

azstech

Thanks! I had to reinstall all additional stuff - MySql, PHP, you name it. It wasn't fun when I had to work against a deadline, but... all is well now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.