Processor Swap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
Can't say I've ever seen a MB or MBP open but was wondering if it would be possible to swap a 2.33ghz chip from a MBP with a 2ghz chip from a MB?

Obviously, both systems would need to work after the transplant.

Just curious if it's been done more than anything. I understand that it would void the warranty on both machines but again I'm curious.

Thanks!

:ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey there MMMII

I very much doubt this would work. As far as im aware, on laptop motherboards/logic boards the processor is soldered to the board itself making it near impossible to do the transfer sucsessfully.

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
TenderSurrender is correct, they are soldered to the boards making it basically impossible to swap them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
why do you need to swap it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
Sounds like he just wants to bump up the processor in the macbook but for all the trouble you'd have to go through if it would even be possible i don't think it'd be worth the hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i belive the macbook and macbook pro have the same insides with the only reall diffrence the cpu speeds so you could do it but if it solderd to the board it might be very hard your best bet is take the laptop apart find out if you can take the cpu out and if you can find a faster one online.

but if you brake it dont come running to me lol as tbh 2ghz with 3gb of ram sholud do the job for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I have the MB service manual and it show's very clearly that the CPU is directly soldiered onto the board.

you would need professional equipment to cleanly de-soldier and remove the CPU.

It would cost a lot of money to do and even then it voids your warranty.

Is it worth the risk! I say 'no'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
i belive the macbook and macbook pro have the same insides with the only reall diffrence the cpu speeds so you could do it but if it solderd to the board it might be very hard your best bet is take the laptop apart find out if you can take the cpu out and if you can find a faster one online.

but if you brake it dont come running to me lol as tbh 2ghz with 3gb of ram sholud do the job for you

You know, there are tons of guides on the Internet where they've disassembled the Macbook and Macbook Pro. So he wouldn't have to open up his computer, a simple Google search would yield his answer.

OP
MMMII
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
I was just curious more then anything.

The question came to me while I was using my PB to look up my shipping status on my recent MB order (my replacement PB battery shipment notification came last night) and I saw my MBP from work out of the corner of my eye and started wondering.... What if?

Thanks for the replys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Can't say I've ever seen a MB or MBP open but was wondering if it would be possible to swap a 2.33ghz chip from a MBP with a 2ghz chip from a MB?

Obviously, both systems would need to work after the transplant.

Just curious if it's been done more than anything. I understand that it would void the warranty on both machines but again I'm curious.

Thanks!

:ninja:

2 to 2.33 is a rather minor update, it's hard to remove the CPU and even harder to fit the new one. Less risky to try and overclock it somehow :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.