Emacs...vs Other Macs...

J

Joeytpg

Guys........explain the difference between the eMac and the other MAcs such as imac, tower, powermac....etc?...

i mean... i was checking the eMac at applestore and i felt like cying guys.........999 (plus more RAM, and apple care plan) U.S.$1,225.00

1.25 ghz, Superdrive, 80gig HD, 512 RAM (upgraded) guys.......THE WHOLE NINE YARDS!!! for ONLY 1,225 dollars!! i really felt like crying.......why??..cuz i'm moving to Spain to study (Master's degree) and i REALLY need a Notebook......it's way more practical, cuz i'll be moving around studing at the university's library..........and ...if you compare, a 1.25 ghz, 80 gig, 512 RAM, SUPERDRIVE POWERBOOK........COMPARED to the new eMAC, GUYS.....it's like 1,000 dollars MORE!...for "pretty much THE SAME" :( :( i wanted to cry!...

what's the deal wih eMacs......why SO cheap?.... (i know that the screen is not LCD (so it doesn't look AS good as iMacs and Powerbooks, but....they really look "price-worthy"

OP
C

Chamorro

Joeytpg said:
Guys........explain the difference between the eMac and the other MAcs such as imac, tower, powermac....etc?...

Towers (PowerMacs) are geared towards professionals, and therefore have much more internal expandability (incl. audio and video capabilities), higher RAM ceilings, faster front-side buses, faster RAM, faster HD interfaces etc.

The eMac and iMac are geared towards "everyday" use and offer little or no internal expansion (PCI) slots, typically use lower-end video cards, have lower max RAM, RAM speed, front side bus speed and HD interfaces. The iMac has a slightly faster frontside bus, USB 2.0 ports, the LCD screen, bigger "wow" factor, higher RAM ceiling w/ faster RAM....a lot of features that "everyday" consumers (users who don't need the fastest computer or all the bells and whistles) wouldn't lose any sleep over. As such it seems a lot of people are VERY happy w/ their eMacs due to the apparently higher performance/price ratio than the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Joeytpg said:
what's the deal wih eMacs......why SO cheap?.... (i know that the screen is not LCD (so it doesn't look AS good as iMacs and Powerbooks, but ****....they really look "price-worthy"

Regardless of the manufacturer, notebooks are always priced considerably higher than desktops with similar specifications. It's just part of the tradeoff of portability.

OP
W

WilliS

powemac - exactly that..built for power.. your fastest macs are here... built for professionals who use it to get work done

imac - little less power, little less expandability... affordable price...made for the everyday user

powerbook - laptop version of a powermac really... very powerful laptop..large screen size..made for the professionals on the go

ibook - the imac of the laptop world... powerful yet affordable..made for the everyday user

emac - everything else... low price mac... still powerful.. much more affordable though.... many many schools buy these in bulk... cheap, powerful, durable, and all-in-one...if mac didnt make a low end model, they would go out of business i believe... many people dont buy a mac because not only WERE (past tense) they hard to find software for... but the cheapest ones were still more money than the cheapest pc's...

i still think if apple came out with a barebones mac... built for the user who wants to buy a computer, but not spend much at all (aka a $300-500 computer)...they would own a considerably larger portion of the computer industry.

OP
V

Violence

Joeytpg said:
what's the deal wih eMacs......why SO cheap?.... (i know that the screen is not LCD (so it doesn't look AS good as iMacs and Powerbooks, but ****....they really look "price-worthy"

CRT Monitors (the ones used in the eMac), look better than an LCD anyways. And an LCD in a laptop especially, they aren't as good as a proper desktop LCD monitor. I'd say go with the iBook, which is what I'll be going with in a couple of weeks. The top of the line iBook is pretty good value, and they were just updated.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Violence said:
CRT Monitors (the ones used in the eMac), look better than an LCD anyways. And an LCD in a laptop especially, they aren't as good as a proper desktop LCD monitor.
I'm going to show you violence, Violence...
I'd say go with the iBook, which is what I'll be going with in a couple of weeks. The top of the line iBook is pretty good value, and they were just updated.
I agree.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.