Automator questions...

Reaction score
1. Is there an Automator action I can use to select the oldest item within a folder?

I've got a little application running for backing up all my OSX and Win (Bootcamp) data into a dated folder on my external HD. I'd like to add an action to select the oldest back-up folder and move it to the trash?

2. My original back-up application used to actually show a grey bar progression as the files were being copied. Something corrupted the application or one of the actions it used and I had to re-write it from scratch. Since I've re-written it (I'm not sure if I'm using exactly the same actions) it doesn't show the progress, I just get the little 'New Folder' action title up in the top bar of the screen.

Is there any way of getting the file copy progress back on the screen? I tried using the 'show action when run' option, but it requires me to click 'continue'. I want it to run without needing any input while showing the copying in progress like it used to.

Cheers for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
This may go some way to help. I am only very new to Otto however you can Automate that you can find the oldest folders look at the thumbnail.
I chose the find Finder Items then you can define what you want to find from there.

I hope this helps :flower:

Picture 1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.