OS X Install questions (do I need....)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blueberry iMac G3, 233MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, MacOS 10.3.9
***EDIT*** I (mostly) found my answers. I decided not to install any of the printer drivers (and install updated drivers from the manufacturer later if needed) and not to install isync/ical (since apparently they do not back everything up, I don't like that my PDA info would be held in more than one spot, and I don't need/want interaction with any other programs).

Feel free to read the post and respond anyway. Information is what makes the world go round.
***END EDIT***

Hi all. I recently got out my old green G3 iMac to use for basically schoolwork and instant messaging (saving my linux machine that I"m on now for programming and such). I might use it for music, but doubtful with a 4GB harddrive (though I could run the files over the network... anyway....).

The size of my hard drive is the basis of my question. Having a 4GB hdd, I'm doing a custom install of 10.3 (the only version I own). So I'm looking for things I don't need. I'm not installing the language translations or iMovie, but I'm looking at two other possible things I can leave out. They are iSync and Printer Drivers.

The printer drivers are over a gig if I install them all. I don't ahve a printer hooked up to my mac (its hooked up to my linux box, maybe I'll network it). My question is do I have to install the printer drivers now, or can I install only the drivers I need later, *if* I need them? ***EDIT*** I found online that the printer drivers with the CD are probably out of date anyway (which I assumed) and that other (newer) drivers can be installed later, if need be.

My second question is do I need iSync? I have a Palm Tungsten E. I've read that iSync doesn't do everything that Palm Desktop does, but I have no experience using iSync. Thoughts?

I'm trying to really cut things out so I can save hdd space. I'm going to try to get Office for Mac on here too (at least word and power point for school).

Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.