• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Home Theatre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
So I've just begun to build my first Home Theatre ...err bedroom setup. So far I have my new TV, a Samsung HL-S4672S and my Playstation 3 pulling DVD double duty. I also have this ancient bookshelf stereo from high school with a busted woofer and tweeter. I know that separate components are better, but my budget says Home Theatre In a Box. Anybody have any recommendations. I'm also looking for some sort of TV stand media solution. nothing fancy. but nice.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For an in-expensive HT in a box, personally would recommend Onkyo. Was selling stereo equipment when they first hit the market in the 70's and they have kept up fairly well. Personally find the receivers to have a cleaner sound than the Sony's, Panasonic's, JVC, etc. at the same price point.

If you have little more cash check out some of the low end Denon or Yamaha set ups. Oh, and don't compare watts per chanel from Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha to any of the other low end audio manufacturers, they just don't provide apples to apples #'s.

And let your ear do the walking. Don't take home any audio setup without listening to it first, and at a volume level you would expect to play it once you get it home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.