• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

idvd burning question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
osx 10.8.5
hello,
My son wants to burn an old old movie we have onto a DVD so our normal DVD player can play it. Not just on the computer. I have never used idvd myself. I see in help it states to find out what disk format your dvd player uses. HOW do you do that? I tried putting in another movie that plays in our player and did the get info thing, but it doesn't say what kind of disk it is.
We tried burning a DVD+R disk, but it will ONLY play on the computer. Not the dvd player. (Which is a magnavox tv/dvd/vcr all in one.) I know there are issues trying to burn a RW disk. (Found that out when we learned how to save music to a CD so his player would play that! RW disks don't work.) I cannot seem to find out how to make idvd burn a disk so any player can play the thing.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would try a DVD-R most DVD players can read it. The newer DVD players can read both DVD+/-R. Whereas the older one only read DVD-R.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
osx 10.8.5
Thanks, I'll try that.

What does the - + mean anyway???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Yeah its something like + is used by 90% and - is used by 99%.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
osx 10.8.5
Interesting reading there. Thanks again.

I also had the idea to look up magnavox and found a site that lists what they all read. No clue what my husband did with the manual or what product number we have, but in any case, just about every one listed uses DVD-R. So I think it's that simple. Get the right disks next time we shop.

Easy enough.
Cool!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.