Warm Fuzzy Feeling (had to share)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
Just ordered my Black MacBook (2gb ram, 160 gb hd and Logic Express) to replace my 15" G4 Powerbook (actually my wife will be taking the Powerbook over).

Should be here by May 8th. Can't wait to get fingerprints all over it!

Since it's a new system, I'm thinking about encrypting the drive, will I run into any slowdown when reading the disk due to the encryption?

Cheers!

M

MacHeadCase

I really don't know about the encryption thing but just wanted to say congratulations on the new addition!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yes, your computer will have to work through all the extra data to get to what you or it are looking for. How much slower? Depends how complicated you make it. (This would happen to any computer btw)
Bryan

OP
MMMII
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
Thanks MacHeadCase!

bryphotoguy, not sure what my choices are when encrypting a drive. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Thanks MacHeadCase!

bryphotoguy, not sure what my choices are when encrypting a drive. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
One thing you can do is use the disk utility to create an encrypted disk image to keep any sensitive files in. Enable encryption, and it will be password protected. You can just drag any sensitive data into that disk image and it will be completely inaccessible without the password. When you're done, just unmount the disk image and it's safely tucked away.

I believe you may even be able to set it so it unmounts itself when the computer sleeps or something similar. One thing to keep in mind is that you will *not* be able to access any of that data if you forget the password.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are different bit depths so it you choose say 256bit encryption over 128bit, more data is used to coded a file. And to code and decode all this extra data requires more processing power. It works the same as encrypting a WIFI signal.
Bryan

OP
MMMII
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
Thanks for the replys.

What both of you said makes sense. Although, I think I'll probably go 128 on the whole thing then.

Again, thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Isn't there that file vault thing that encrypts your home folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, i forgot about that. Check the control panel options when you get your Macbook. There should be a security setting. Read up on the vault setting in the manual and find out if that's what you're looking for. I had a glance at it and seemed pretty nifty!
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.