OSX gradual slowdown just like Windows???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB DDR, 160GB 7200rpm SATA, Super Drive
I have been using OSX Tiger on my new Macbook for about two months now. In the past three weeks the time from login to initial usability of the system can be quite long. I can click Safari for instance after logging in and it may take up to a minute and a half before it starts and the system runs smoothly enough to work properly. Also VLC crashes all the time and it drives me crazy. Any ideas what may cause this slow down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I was having this same problem very recently. Go to system prefs, then go to accounts, then startup items, and turn off as many startup items that are necessary. Then get a program called OnyX and run the verify disk permissions at the beginning like it says to. Then run as many of the Automation Tasks as you would like, i recommend all of the including optimization.

Hopefully this works for you. Also, thanks to the person who orignally helped me with this problem as I am hopefully able to help drew with his.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Can you tell us what you have running in Activity Monitor?

Try turning off all your widgets. You might have a rogue one that's holding things up as it's trying to connect to a website or something.

OP
drewschlosser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already disabled all startup items. I will get Onyx and I believe only the basic widgets are running. I will disable them and see if there is a difference. I'll post my results. Thanks for the feedback! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This has happened to me and I cannot find out what's causing it. My start up items are only the iTunes helper (which has always been there), iCalAlarmScheduler (which has also always been there), Crossover CD Helper (no idea what this is) and the Microsoft AU Daemon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Zoo,
Crossover CD Helper is for CrossoverMac, so it detects PC CDs with autorun, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Zoo,
Crossover CD Helper is for CrossoverMac, so it detects PC CDs with autorun, etc.

Ahh yeah I can dump that. Where is it launching from?

OP
drewschlosser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It turns out

It is the Parallels Networking which, allthough Parallels is not running, it enables the networking when starting up. I disabled it in Network Options and just like that the problem was solved. So go figure, a classic Windows problem was actually caused by a Windows related software issue.:D

OP
drewschlosser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its back

and I just don't get it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.