Speaker issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but lately I have noticed that my Macbook Pro's (about three months old) speakers occasionally make a sort of crackling noise that I didn't notice before. It's nothing major, and I think I tend to be a bit paranoid about anything odd I notice about the computer, probably because it was so expensive, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It does get a bit annoying, probably because I keep looking out for it now, but it only happens now and again, maybe a few times an hour. I don't think the sound quality has been affected. Is this normal?

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but lately I have noticed that my Macbook Pro's (about three months old) speakers occasionally make a sort of crackling noise that I didn't notice before. It's nothing major, and I think I tend to be a bit paranoid about anything odd I notice about the computer, probably because it was so expensive, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It does get a bit annoying, probably because I keep looking out for it now, but it only happens now and again, maybe a few times an hour. I don't think the sound quality has been affected. Is this normal?

Although the following relates to a MacBook I thought you might like to read it:
Static Noise/Crackling

http://citrite.org/files/macbook_static.mp3
  • Intermittent static noise/crackling from grille at rear of computer near F9 key/power button. Independent of AC connections and discs in DVD drive. Sounds like electrical component fault (eg capacitor), arcing or speaker noise. Present in machines purchased as recently as January 2007.
PARTIAL SOLUTION and determination it's speaker noise (for me) - sounds just like above recording----
I have exactly the same noise on my MacBook SN 4H6368UYU9B puchased Sept '06 The noise just became noticieable Monday, 19Feb07. No noise on my wife's identical MacBook (purchased several weeks later). Tried: turning off 1 CPU, turning off display, running Photo Booth, unplug/plug power, reboot,running SystemLoad, even turning down speaker volume, all to no avail.
GOOD NEWS: simply plugging in earphone jack makes noise go away (I have one w/o earphones).
I was worried the noise was a fan, CPU, oveheating or something major, but fortunately it's just
static noise from the right speaker (the left speaker has no noise)
ALSO: The noise seems to come and go at random, but usually comes the longer I use the MacBook,
so I just plug in the jack to silence it.
I'm posting this, to help others determine if their noise is speaker noise or something more serious. However, if it is a circuitry flaw on Apple's part I think we deserve better.

That came from This link.

Reaction score
mine is doing the same thing and i purchased mine in late december '06. It just started making the cracking noise about a week ago when i wake it from sleep. I have a MacBook Pro...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
you may want to take your computers in to apple and have them take a look.. Its possible you blew your speaker(s). I blew my left speaker on my PB and it was covered under applecare.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Thanks for your replies. I do have the extended Applecare thing, but I would feel a bit silly calling them about this particular issue because it doesn't happen all the time, and I know that if I had to take it in for a check, it probably wouldn't happen and they would tell me there was nothing wrong with it. The sound itself, of music etc, doesn't sound distorted, it's just this occasional crackle that comes out of the speakers every now and then, which is more annoying than anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
its up to you as to what you do or don't do. if it were me i would take it in.. you paid good money for applecare why not use it?

Reaction score
true if you care about it that much, take it in...but any laptop speakers are going to be garbage regardless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
Don't quote me on this but I heard from somewhere that it happens when it's more low frequency sounds? I might be completely making this up but that's what I heard haha, I don't have the problem at all though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.