Upgrading eMac's USB 1.1 to 2.0

M

Maxwell Murder

Anyone have any ideas on if this is possible, and if so, is it relatively easy and cheap?

OP
B

Badger

Maxwell Murder said:
Anyone have any ideas on if this is possible, and if so, is it relatively easy and cheap?

The USB chipset/controller is built into the main board. There is no practical way to upgrade. Apple has revised the eMac several times but has not upgraded to USB 2. They seem to be saying consumers should use Firewire if USB 1.1 is not fast enough.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Badger said:
The USB chipset/controller is built into the main board. There is no practical way to upgrade. Apple has revised the eMac several times but has not upgraded to USB 2. They seem to be saying consumers should use Firewire if USB 1.1 is not fast enough.
Badger

I am not positive about the past revision but the current revision is USB 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Maxwell Murder said:
So I'm stuck with an non-upgradable port?

Great.
Unfortunately, that appears to be the case. However, eMacs and iMacs are not really designed with end user upgradability in mind (with the exception of RAM). If you are looking for a Mac that you would be able to upgrade rather easily, I would suggest a G4 or G5 tower.

OP
B

Badger

trpnmonkey41 said:
I am not positive about the past revision but the current revision is USB 2

You're right; the 1.25ghz models have USB 2, the older models all have USB 1x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, there's no way to change the USB1's to 2's, but there are 2 firewires

OP
M

Maxwell Murder

Is there no way to upgrade the mainboard to one with a USB 2 chipset/controller? Even sending it off to Apple/Apple licensed techinicians?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I really doubt it, but with 2 firewire ports the eMacs are pretty versatile

OP
M

Maxwell Murder

witeshark said:
I really doubt it, but with 2 firewire ports the eMacs are pretty versatile

I understand the firewire ports are available, but my iriver mp3 player is usb 1.1/2.0 only. I'm not willing to get rid of the iriver just to use firewire on the, quite frankly, inferior iPod.

OP
P

psychotoe

Two FireWire 400 ports, three USB 2.0 ports (on computer), two USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard) This is what the new eMacs come with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Maxwell Murder said:
I understand the firewire ports are available, but my iriver mp3 player is usb 1.1/2.0 only. I'm not willing to get rid of the iriver just to use firewire on the, quite frankly, inferior iPod.

Well since you stated that your mp3 player works with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, I quite frankly don't see where it is an issue. You would not have to give up your current mp3 player. Besides, even if you really, really wanted to, you could buy a USB to FW adapter and use the FW port. I just don't see where there is a problem. :D

OP
M

Maxwell Murder

Yeah, i've just done a google search for USB to FW cable and can't find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
trpnmonkey41 said:
those are all just hubs....they do not connect USB 1.1 devices at usb 2 speed

I was under the impression that the hub could be connected to the system via the Firewire port, then you could connect a USB 2.0 device to the hub, thereby connecting at the faster USB transfer rate.
Apparantely I was mistaken, my appologies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.