Internally Dirty Screen

hbr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 1gb RAM, Intel core duo 1, 2.16ghz, 112gb HDD (supposed to be 120 when unformatted.)
Hi Everyone - my first post on this forum!
I have a dirty screen which I noticed yesterday - about 6 cm down from the isight - so almost in my line of normal viewing, and I also discovered a burst pixel. I have the MBP core duo (1) and am also experiencing system crashes and very slow usb speeds on all ports. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I should do - I cant get home for another 3/4 weeks in order to get it sorted. It is also exam season and all my notes are on my Mac. Great time for this to happen!
Tried to clean screen with Klear Screen and Iklear solution and cloth 'as used by the guys at apple', but no avail. Def between pixels and backlight.
Do you think Apple will accept that I cannot do anything about the problem immediately, as I know we are obliged to notify them of probs within 7 days of them happening?
Would there be a chance of a straight swap from Apple as then I can get back to revision?
I am covered by AppleCare, and bought the Mac on 26th september 2006.
I hope you can see in the rather rubbishy picture that it is quite prominent - the largest blob is about 3x3cm!

Many thanks,

HBR

DSC00638.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
I have a similar issue with my 15" MBP C2D. There is something that appears to be lint behind the monitor, about 3/4 down the left hand side of the monitor and about an inch in. At first I thought it was a scratch, but after closer examination I could tell that it was behind the screen. It's pretty annoying, especially on white backgrounds. I'm thinking about taking it to the Apple store to have them look at it. Do you think I should go there? Or to just a Apple certified service center?

OP
H

hbr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 1gb RAM, Intel core duo 1, 2.16ghz, 112gb HDD (supposed to be 120 when unformatted.)
Hi There - I suggest that you do take it into the Apple Store/ring them up, and talk to the techies, the MBP screen/lid is a sealed unit, so they will need to replace the whole lid. I am assuming that you are covered by Applecare, in which case you should not have a problem having it replaced FOC. If Apple do it then it will be sent to Hungary, then the USA, and then back again. This could take 1/2/3 weeks to do, and it may be better to take it to one of the service providers.

Hope this helps,
BTW - WHITE BACKGROUNDS DRIVE ME MAD NOW!!! HAHA. I know how you must feel.:eek: :eek: :eek:
HBR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
yet another user here with more than enough dust/lint inside my mbp.

im wondering if we all have the glossy screen. ive heard its just a "shield" that goes over the matte

OP
H

hbr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mines glossy! however, it is not inbetween the 'shield' and the pixels, but inbetween the pixels and backlight. Well, i think, NE way! does anyone have an answer to my original question BTW? (at the start of this thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this mbp has been a little bit of a dissappointment in some aspects of a purchase.

the day i bought it, well the first one i recieved, had about 30-40 stuck/dead pixels. Imagine my attitude when i get home after spending 2k$ on a nice new laptop. I wasnt too happy. Apple rectified it the same day, of course i had to drive another 80mi to do so, which i think i shouldve been reimbursed for. ANyways, this is the unit i recieved in exchange for the pixel-killed one. This one has worked great, with the exception of a bad battery two months in. But for the last month or so, there has been dust/lint collecting on the edges of the LCD. I dont know how, or from where, but i suspect my Incase sleeve for some reason. Thats the only time the laptop is moved around really, inside that.

Im wondering, do u all have this sleeve?

OP
H

hbr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a dicota bag, which I have always imagined to be very clean... maybe it would be better to put the laptop in a hard case, with no padding, and then put it in the bag if u see what i mean! I need to know what sort of service people who have had this problem have recieved fgrom apple themselves - any ideas? would apple be kind and do a total swap for a new laptop, given my student situation, where i can hardly get time to breathe from using a laptop, let alone dealing with a broken one...??!!

OP
H

hbr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well,

I have spoken with Apple, and am not very happy with 2 out of the three reps to which i spoke. The first one who I will call S for sake of anonimity was very helpful and courteous, while one of the others cut me off, and the other one made me feel like i wasnt welcome by ringing her up! I tried to get hold of the WestQuay apple store, UK, and couldnt, and also could not get hold of 2 out of 3 support centres which i tried. I am now having to leave it till tomorrow as I need to go to lessons, but it is annoying, and I hope to have a new laptop by the end of it as I can afford to wait, nor mess around trying to contact different people. I have revision to do!

Report back 2moro!

HBR.:eek:

OP
H

hbr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I have had a long chat with a product manager from Apple, who said (after 20 mins of discussion) that I will have to have the laptop taken in by myself and wait 5 days unless they can give me a loaned laptop. I personally think that as the screen needs replacing, the USBs are slow, the latch is not functioning properly, and the computer is sometimes not charged, that they should give me a new machine. Especially as I cannot wait for it to be fixed! Exams are looming....
We'll see what happens when i take it to the service provider then..

HBR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usbs are slow? good luck proving that one. as with the other stuff, if they dont see it, its not broken. just how it is.

as for them giving you a new laptop and just taking the old one, i wouldnt do it either. sorry but thats just really not how it works.

im a student too, and id love even a loaner. But this just isnt policy of apple's.

the best you can hope for is you send it in, wait 5-7 days, get it back , all is well.

me personally, im waiting for the semester to be over, so i can send it in this summer while its needed as little as possible

OP
H

hbr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yip, the loan is not a policy of apple's but I hope that the service centre i will be dealing with will provide me with one. I know that it is not apple policy, and due to the number of problems with the laptop, I think that they will see it as sensible...
Apple have said that postage is covered, and that they should be giving me a turnaround of 24 hours. USBs are slow with virtually every make of USB key - especially Supertalent Usbs. I had to use a Corsair 4gb instead. Fantastic piece of kit...
Also, I cant do without the laptop. Not even in the summer as I have the next set of exams and a research essay to contend with. Holidays at my school only mean 'period of 4-8 weeks where we set you slightly less work.' They set lots i can tell u!

HBR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i hope u get what you need. But in all fairness to apple, i really dont think they should even worry about giving you a loaner.

if your having lots of problems, i would def see what the replacement road can lead to. If not that, youll HAVE to do with out the laptop, like everyone else :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.