No Backlight

dod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.5 core2duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD; 12" ibook g3 600mhz, 640mb ram, 100GB HD
i have an old ibook g3 600 i have been working on, and it seems like everytime i fix something something else goes out. currently i have replaced the logicboard, then the replaced the 20gb hard drive with a new WD 100gb, maxed the ram, but as i was putting it back to gether i pinched the inverter cable, so i got a new one and replaced it.

it was working fine for a few days then last night the back light would suddenly go out, i restarted and it would light again, then it went out again, this time i just closed the lid, waited for it to go to sleep then repopened, the screen lit back up, then after about an hour it went black again, it tried the closing and reopening again, but now i only get a flicker then back to black. i have tried it again this morning and it just flickers for a second then the backlight is out again. could this be an issue with the cable or should i go ahead and replace the inverter board?

p.s. this is a project, i like working on stuff, i already have a C2D Macbook, so please no replies of just cutting losses. i have barely an money invested in this ibook, and i like having it for a travel/beater notebook so my macbook stays nice and scratch free.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have an old ibook g3 600 i have been working on, and it seems like everytime i fix something something else goes out. currently i have replaced the logicboard, then the replaced the 20gb hard drive with a new WD 100gb, maxed the ram, but as i was putting it back to gether i pinched the inverter cable, so i got a new one and replaced it.

it was working fine for a few days then last night the back light would suddenly go out, i restarted and it would light again, then it went out again, this time i just closed the lid, waited for it to go to sleep then repopened, the screen lit back up, then after about an hour it went black again, it tried the closing and reopening again, but now i only get a flicker then back to black. i have tried it again this morning and it just flickers for a second then the backlight is out again. could this be an issue with the cable or should i go ahead and replace the inverter board?

p.s. this is a project, i like working on stuff, i already have a C2D Macbook, so please no replies of just cutting losses. i have barely an money invested in this ibook, and i like having it for a travel/beater notebook so my macbook stays nice and scratch free.

I agree with your assessment of a bad inverter board. That would be my next step. If not, it might be a bad CCFL backlight tube. Those can be very tricky to replace (have your soldering iron ready).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One friend of mine with an iBook G3-800 had issues like yours. He fixed it and claimed it was something to do with the magnetic reed switch that puts the machine into sleep mode. Just thought I would mention it as I have seen it mentioned elsewhere also.

Either that or the replacement inverter board has issues. If neither of those tips pans out it's probably the backlight tube but that would be the last thing I check. The fact it comes on at all makes me think it's something else.

OP
dod

dod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.5 core2duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD; 12" ibook g3 600mhz, 640mb ram, 100GB HD
thanks for the help, ebay inverter boards are like $20- $25 shipped, so that will be my next move, after i take it apart again tonight just to make sure the new cable hasn't come loose or something easy (free) to fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.