Linksys dead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Hi Chaps,
I can no longer access the net via my Linksys wrt54 g Router. The power light just keeps flashing and I have tried everything. Even tried Installing from new. No luck. I can connect to the net direct so no big one except my wife is no longer able to surf wirelessly.

BIG question. What's the New Airport extreme like anyone tried it ?

I have two Window pc's that need to connect too what about them. I think it should go don't you ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello Kilted,

About that Linksys, I got one brand new when I bought my Macbook and it was a DOA with the same symptoms you are describing, Also I came across a D-Link, that was a DOA as well... My Luck wasn't at its highest *sigh*

Anyways, Netgear Worked fine for both my Macbook and my Work Windows Laptop.

About the Airport Extreme, I heard a lot of good and bad, but it defneitly works with PCs, but in the same time... In My Humble opinion, I think its a bit over priced, and I believe you can get the same functionality from a cheaper Wirless router.

Well, thats my 2 cents, hope it helped.

Cheers

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
It's sound advice . However it's just now being in the market as it were and the Apple store on my doorstep it is tempting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
LOL...

Well I'll tell you the way I'd tackle this. If you like it, and you can afford it. Then I'd tell you go for it full force. Because after all, I trust Apple and all its products to "JUST WORK" after my experience with my MacBook.

Good Luck, and if you do decide to buy it, let me know how it behaves.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, have you reset the Linksys WRT54g? Have you tried to re-flash the firmware? The blinking power light for sure it saying there is a problem.

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using the router I can't get on the net. I have reset the router without success

When I just connect to the dsl modem I can surf no problems. I can get a wireless network showing using airport but It won't connect . This is also the case with my wifes Dell laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
It sounds like your router's repairable - not sure how, but if it's internet connection is working it's more than likely somewhere in the settings for the wireless that's gone wrong. If you have all your settings for internet settings it might be worth resetting the router and reconfiguring.

I just bought a new router last weekend:
Belkin MIMO G+

Seems to be much better than the Linksys WAG54G that I will prob have to ditch. The wireless bit still works (amazingly) but the wired bit doesn't - I didn't realise it at the time that while the WRT54G is highly rated the WAG54G is rubbish

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm rather embarrassed to admit that when I was disconnecting my Linksys I found the problem.... A cable had loosened from the clear plastic housing of the connecter.... Everything seems to work again now... That Airport extreme can wait a while yet

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well I'm rather embarrassed to admit that when I was disconnecting my Linksys I found the problem.... A cable had loosened from the clear plastic housing of the connecter.... Everything seems to work again now... That Airport extreme can wait a while yet

Hey that has happened to a lot of people. Just glad you up and running and do not have to spend any $$$! That can be a good thing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
When and if you are thinking of an Airport Extreme. I found that the airport extreme was $30.00 more then an wireless N Linksys. It also included the usb port on it which I dont think the Linksys had.

The airport installed easily, and I have it working with two macs, a pc and a linux machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
That sounds like good news Kilted1 - glad it's sorted

Remember if your wireless breaks but the wired bit is working you could probably save money by getting a wireless access point to convert the working wired router into a wireless one.
I've got one kicking around - i keep meaning to figure out how to use WDS and extend the wireless footprint further, and to get rid of the long cable going from the router to the laser printer

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help and comments. Everything is still working as it should

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.