internet problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
it has happened a few times now.

the power is off at night (in my room) come to turn it on after school now. turns on fine (power back on)

the internet connects fine (dlink 504t router) i open, mail, safari and firefox. NONE of them will work. only happens on imac - works fine on ibook

any help would be gd

thanks.:eek:neye:

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still doing it. did it on ibook last night as well. HELP ! plz. thanks !

the imac worked out this afternoon - but i had to restart the ibook (from off before) to get it to work.

any ideaS ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
Please tell us if your using Airport or Ethernet?

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mainly ethernet - happens with both tho.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am finding that if i restart and reboot the router it works fine.

or

if i unlpug the ethernet cable and plug it back in again it works fine (i guess it gives me a new IP address)

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update: rang apple - and of course when i rang them the bloomin internet worked ! they said they cant do too much except resseting the pram or something. umm so we did that and it worked - a restart just works anyways.

so now i have turned the imac on and the internet wont work so got to wait till 10am GMT for the support lines to open ! ahh well.

i have had to resort to the ibook a big jump when normaly on imac. (ibook normaly really only used at skl)

the ibook internet wouldnt workk either so unpluged ethernet cable and plugged back in and worked fine. - strange. same thing on imac.

any ideas ? will give you another update once i have contacted apple support uk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I know this may sound basic but try another cable. I had lots of fallouts which I thought was my router . I found a bad cable and replaced it.... I hope you get it fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I know this may sound basic but try another cable. I had lots of fallouts which I thought was my router . I found a bad cable and replaced it.... I hope you get it fixed

Is your router wireless capable? If it is, try using wireless connection and if it works well then cable is the most probable culprit

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi there, thanks for replying,

i have tried a different cable- no luck,

i have tried wireless. no luck

and i logged into the router and checked the setting and thats fine,.

the router is connected and stuff but the computers dont think it is from a cold boot.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update 2 : a friend told me that cos my broadband speed has been upgraded (same company, no delay just simply a higher speed) the line has to be 'trained' for the new higher speed.

is this true ?

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
latest update - got a new router. everything is working fine.

Reaction score
update 2 : a friend told me that cos my broadband speed has been upgraded (same company, no delay just simply a higher speed) the line has to be 'trained' for the new higher speed.
That's right, which is why all my cables are made of solid gold. It's a well-known fact that gold is much easier to train than copper or any other metal so well-loved by the masses. And training wireless signals that tend to go everywhere is like trying to herd cats.

Gold, being the incorruptible metal, has the added benefit of being immune to viruses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.