MacPro's annoying humming noise

Reaction score
I was blown away by how quiet it was when I first turned it on but after 3 months, I have to constantly tap the front grill or CD door to stop the hum. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jerry

Reaction score
I was blown away by how quiet it was when I first turned it on but after 3 months, I have to constantly tap the front grill or CD door to stop the hum. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jerry

If you can quieten down your Mac Pro's noisy hum by tapping the front grill or CD tray, then the following link probably doesn't refer to your issue ... thought I'd post it anyhows:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Mac_Pro/mac_pro_ram.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Mac Book Pro, 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro w/ 2gb RAM. 1ghz G4 Powerbook w/ 768 RAM.
Jerry,

I had/have this same problem. The thing sounded like the bulb on a high powered light pole. I opened the case up again and made sure all my hard drives were as snug as possible. It hasn't made a sound since. So open it up and just give a moderate push on the hard drive holders to make sure they are seated all the way and it might help.

Howie J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Thanks,

jerry

I would attribute that to the hard disk(s). 7200RPM is very fast and drives tend to oscillate.

How many drives do you have?

Reaction score
I too am having this problem. I just now noticed it. I notice if I lift the rear latch, the humming stops.

Reaction score
Solved. It's the HD(s). I shut down, opened the case, slid the HD out, and just re-inserted it, making sure it was snugly in there. I closed the case up, booted up, no problem!

How I figured it out: after a certain amount of time, the HD goes to sleep while the computer remains on. I noticed the humming disappeared when this happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
CaptSaltyJack, just another benefit of owning a Mac. Try doing that to a typical PC (take the drive out and put it back). Darn near impossible unless you are comfortable with a unwiring it, unscrewing it..... Macs are so beautifully engineered relative to their PC competition. The inside of a PowerMac and a Mac Pro is a work of art. Amazingly well done.

Reaction score
I've got ten years experience building PCs, so I have no problem removing a hard drive from a custom built PC..however, it sure is time consuming, depending on the case :) On some computer cases, it's easy.. others, it takes several steps.

But not having to mess with power cables and SATA cables..thumbs up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Working on PCs aint so bad. But SATA is a step backwards in terms of reliability.

Most PC mobos ship with cheap SATA cables which have no clips to hold them in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.