format external hard drive for mac reboot and windows

Reaction score
I've just bought a 'My Book' western digital external hard drive, so that i can clone my macbook pro before i install boot camp (just incase).
So I want to clone my mac (using super duper) but also be able to use the harddrive when im running windows.
How do I format it apparently in need to format as mac (journaled) if I want to reboot but then it won't work with windows will it?

Need some advise! please!

Some also mentioned macdrive for windows.....?

Reaction score
Hi karah, tell me if I've got this wrong .... when you say this:

.... use the harddrive when im running windows.

Do you mean running Windows through BootCamp or connecting the Ext HD to a Windows PC?

Reaction score
Well, I've had a good search around and I've come to the realisation that the best solution is to format the external HD as HFS+ and use then download and use MacDrive:

MacDrive6 for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Hey man, which version of Windows do you use?

As far as I know, MacDrive6 is supposed to work only with Windows 2000 and earlier.

Does it works with WinXP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
ohh, ok! That's what I supposed to be! Tks for your reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.