Will my macbook overheat? (external display)

Reaction score
or damage it in anyway if I close the lid/top of my macbook while I use an external display... Since the macbook's fans blow out heat out of the keyboard, will it not be able to cool properly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually the older iBook use to get rid of a lot of heat through the keyboard area, Powerbooks, Macbooks and Macbook Pros are designed to be able to used closed.

It will probably still get a bit warmer than normal though, so you might want to use a fan utility to cool it down a bit.
But unless you have a specific reason for closing it you might just want to leave it open and use it as an extended display (with your external monitor being your primary display).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I use my MacBook in closed-lid mode with an external monitor all the time.

There's no issue with doing this. You will not damage your MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I use my MB closed and on it's side(ie vent upwards) with the DVD drive pointing forwards when connected to my HD TV. It's then a fancy media center when you load up iTheatre.
It's been fine doing this for ages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.