• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I remember when.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Back in the 50's: Did you know that you could buy a 50-pound pumpkin in 1950 for a dollar?

But it might interest you to know that in that same year you could have purchased a gallon of gasoline for 20 cents. And if you thought that the price of fuel was worth writing about, you could have sent the information along in a letter for 3 cents in 1950. A 14 ounce can of Hershey's Syrup was 17 cents, sliced bacon went for 69 cents a pound, and bread was only 16 cents. You could buy a 10-pack of Gillette Blue Blades for 49 cents.
In 1953 a typical house went for around $17,400. T-bone steak was 95 cents a pound in 1954. Slinky's were purchased for 88 cents, nylon hose ($1.00), Mickey Mouse Lunchbox (88 cents). By 1956 the average American was making around $2.14 an hour and a variety of Ford automobiles cost under $1,800.

Bread was 19 cents a loaf in 1957. And milk was going for about $1.00 a gallon, celery 4 cents a pound and enrollment at Harvard, it would only cost $1,250 a year for tuition. Ahhhhh, those were those good old days!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
And the neighbors all shared a land line together! Yeah...good old times...

Right. I'm content with my generation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The average US household income was $6180 per year at the end of the 50s. Things were cheap, but no one made a lot of money either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Back in the 50's: Did you know that you could buy a 50-pound pumpkin in 1950 for a dollar?

But it might interest you to know that in that same year you could have purchased a gallon of gasoline for 20 cents. And if you thought that the price of fuel was worth writing about, you could have sent the information along in a letter for 3 cents in 1950. A 14 ounce can of Hershey's Syrup was 17 cents, sliced bacon went for 69 cents a pound, and bread was only 16 cents. You could buy a 10-pack of Gillette Blue Blades for 49 cents.
In 1953 a typical house went for around $17,400. T-bone steak was 95 cents a pound in 1954. Slinky's were purchased for 88 cents, nylon hose ($1.00), Mickey Mouse Lunchbox (88 cents). By 1956 the average American was making around $2.14 an hour and a variety of Ford automobiles cost under $1,800.

Bread was 19 cents a loaf in 1957. And milk was going for about $1.00 a gallon, celery 4 cents a pound and enrollment at Harvard, it would only cost $1,250 a year for tuition. Ahhhhh, those were those good old days!

let me guess, you walked up hill both ways to school too? ;)

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
let me guess, you walked up hill both ways to school too? ;)

You know it is funny you mention that: for years I told my kids (truthfully) that I walked 2 miles one way to school thru snow so deep it came to my waist. Then one it dawned on me..............I was much shorter then.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
You know it is funny you mention that: for years I told my kids (truthfully) that I walked 2 miles one way to school thru snow so deep it came to my waist. Then one it dawned on me..............I was much shorter then.......

My Grandpa was born in 1919 and his storys about what he made at his first job and what he paid for different things then are just amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Remeber when Conservatives and Liberals weren't completey extreme and truly wanted to work together? I don't remember a time, but I'm young, so maybe someone else does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Here is a neat little tool that compares the CPI (Consumer Price Index) between any two years.

According to this, the 1950 prices compare to these 2007 prices:

- the 50-pound pumpkin goes for $8.53;
- the 20 cent gallon of gas is equivalent to $1.71;
- the postage stamp is 26 cents;
- the Hershey's syrup is $1.45;
- sliced bacon is $5.88 per pound;
- your loaf of bread is $1.36;
- razor blades are $4.18.

- The 1953 house is about $134,000;
- the 1954 t-bone steak is $7.26/lb;
- a Slinky is $6.72;
- nylon hose is $7.64;
- the Mickey Mouse lunch box is $6.72
- the average worker would make $16.17 an hour;
- the variety of Fords are under approximately $13,600

- the 1957 loaf of bread is $1.39;
- milk is $7.31 a gallon;
- celery is 29 cents/lb;
- and a year at Harvard is just over $9000.

It's interesting to see how accurate (and inaccurate) some of these numbers are!

Remeber when Conservatives and Liberals weren't completey extreme and truly wanted to work together? I don't remember a time, but I'm young, so maybe someone else does.

I remember a time when people didn't feel compelled to slap labels on other people. And it wasn't that long ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Heck, that was the 1980's.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Speaking of the Good Old Days, I got this in my e-mail today:

Then And Now

Scenario - Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.
1953 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to
his car and gets his to show Jack.
2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail
and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for
traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario - Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
1953 - Robbie sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal.
Sits still in class.
2006 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin and/or Prozac. Becomes a
zombie. Almost commits suicide. School gets extra money from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario - Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives
him a whipping.
1953 - Billy is more careful next time me, grows up normal, goes to
college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster
care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that
she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's
mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mary turns up pregnant.
1953 - 5 High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a
special school for expectant mothers.
2006 - Middle School Counselor ca lls Planned Parenthood, who notifies
the ACLU. Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion
without her parent's consent or knowledge. Mary given condoms and told to be more careful next time.

Scenario - Pedro fails high school English.
1953 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2006 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state democratic party. Newspaper
articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a
requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against
state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core
curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a
living because he can't speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July,
puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
1953 - Ants die.
2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with
domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home,
computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario - Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his
knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort
him.
1953 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.
She faces 3 years in State Prison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
<comparisons>

The first and the last one are so true. Its sickening today how things are.

And I'm just 14, already wishing for the good old days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Speaking of the Good Old Days...

Every single one of those examples was blown out of proportion.

The ''good ol' days'' is unbearably cliche. The world is NOT worse off today than it was in the 50s. Sure, bacon cost 69 cents a pound and corporal punishment was totally acceptable (which is an ineffective form of punishment anyway). Oh...and it was also okay to deny an entire race their civil rights and to beat them when they pointed it out.

We have seen an unbelievable amount of advancements in society since the 50s. You would have to be blind to not see that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
corporal punishment was totally acceptable (which is an ineffective form of punishment anyway).

As evidenced by you obviously..

We have seen an unbelievable amount of advancements in society since the 50s. You would have to be blind to not see that.

Are you really that humor impaired?

Why don't you just go wander off a cliff somewhere.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro

Heh. I'm not quite sure what that is referring to. Was I bad as a kid? Or is that just a lame attempt at an insult?

I do not take your chain email lightly for numerous reasons. Most importantly, I tend to be very defensive of my generation and the world I live in. As I said before, the "good ol' days" references are pitiful and annoying. Many of the issues listed on your chain email are very relevant today. I happen to feel very strongly against them and will voice my opinion on them. If you can not except them, fine. My comments were not directed toward you and I do not understand why you had to fall back on an insult...

...ah. It must make you feel REAL big, huh? I feel bad for you :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Heh. I'm not quite sure what that is referring to. Was I bad as a kid? Or is that just a lame attempt at an insult?

I do not take your chain email lightly for numerous reasons. Most importantly, I tend to be very defensive of my generation and the world I live in. As I said before, the "good ol' days" references are pitiful and annoying. Many of the issues listed on your chain email are very relevant today. I happen to feel very strongly against them and will voice my opinion on them. If you can not except them, fine. My comments were not directed toward you and I do not understand why you had to fall back on an insult...

...ah. It must make you feel REAL big, huh? I feel bad for you :(

I don't think any of his responses were insults.(Maybe leaning a little close that way, but not quite offensive.) I admire you for voiceing your opinion, but why are you so defensive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro

I don't think any of his responses were insults. I admire you for voiceing your opinion, but why are you so defensive?

How are these not insults?

Are you really that humor impaired?

Why don't you just go wander off a cliff somewhere.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are these not insults?

I admit, that first one is an insult.The other's are borderline insults, but not quite. However, I think that you brought it upon yourself. If you would explain why you so strongly disbelieve the listed scenario's and why you are defensive of "your generation", it may very well save you a few more insults. Then again, it could bring on more.

But it would be nice to know why we are insulting you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh. I'm not quite sure what that is referring to. Was I bad as a kid? Or is that just a lame attempt at an insult?(

No, my inference was that a good beating, or 20, might do you some good....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro

I admit, that first one is an insult.The other's are borderline insults, but not quite. However, I think that you brought it upon yourself. If you would explain why you so strongly disbelieve the listed scenario's and why you are defensive of "your generation", it may very well save you a few more insults. Then again, it could bring on more.

But it would be nice to know why we are insulting you.

Why explain? If you are really interested, I will explain. However, considering past threads, explanations and elaborations are generally ignored in favor of simply writing the person off for one reason or another.

No, my inference was that a good beating, or 20, might do you some good....

Why are you such a nasty person? I am really curious what I have done to make you so bitter towards me. When I first came on here we started to have intelligent debates. I would even give you rep points for actually debating. Then, for no reason, you started insulting me and my intelligence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Now now children, let's simmer down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.