Choosing a Language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
So now that I'm happy with my new Mac and have experience working on a Mac, I want to transfer my programming knowledge from Linux to Mac. Since I use the GCC on Linux, compiling simple terminal apps is no big deal at all. The biggest problem for me is choosing a solid language. I really want to use Cocoa with Xcode, but it seems to me that Cocoa developers love Objective-C. I used C++ on Linux and don't really want to learn C just to learn Objective-C. Actually, do I really have to?

So, can I use C++ with Cocoa and Xcode? If so, how well does Cocoa and C++ work with each other? Also, if I do need to learn Objective-C, how does it compare to C++ in your experience?

Thanks in advance.

-Kaurotu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I really want to use Cocoa with Xcode, but it seems to me that Cocoa developers love Objective-C. I used C++ on Linux and don't really want to learn C just to learn Objective-C.
Uh? If you know C++ then you have already learned C.

Many say Objective-C is a nicer and easier to understand extension to C then C++ is. My one experiment with C++ was a nightmare I don't wish to return to, but Objective-C made more sense to me. I had some C experience before trying either.

I think to take advantage of the Apple frameworks, you'll mostly need to use Objective-C. There is suppose to be C++ integration of some sort, but I don't have any working knowledge about that.

If you "really want to use Cocoa with Xcode" then pick up one of the highly recommended books and take a stab at it.

OP
Kaurotu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Yeah I'll have to learn Objective-C I guess.

Uh? If you know C++ then you have already learned C.

What I mean by "learning C" is not just syntax, but programming habits. I've heard numerous times that C teaches bad programming practice compared to OOP. But, if all I have to is learn some basic syntax rules, it's not that big of a deal. Especially since Objective-C is obviously object oriented.

Thanks.
-Kaurotu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.