Microsoft Messenger SUCKS !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
When does Microsoft plan to release a newer version of Microsoft Messenger? Its so unfair because its missing so much features of Windows Live Messenger like Nudges, Winks and Video call !! Talk about unfair !! Considering the fact that the Windows iTunes has ALL the features of the Macintosh one!!

Now for me to enjoy the cool features of Windows Live, I have to run XP in Parallels and minimize it. Why doesnt Apple release their own Msn, Yahoo - Compatiable messenger and slam Windows Live by making it look better and include even more features!

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're missing? There are a lot of programs out there that I find to be compatible to messenger (Adium)... What do you like about msn so much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
When does Microsoft plan to release a newer version of Microsoft Messenger? Its so unfair because its missing so much features of Windows Live Messenger like Nudges, Winks and Video call !! Talk about unfair !! Considering the fact that the Windows iTunes has ALL the features of the Macintosh one!!

Microsof has nothing to lose for not updating MSN for OSX, Apple on the other hand, loses virtual/real market if/when they release an OSX only product. It is not unfair, it is bussines.

Now for me to enjoy the cool features of Windows Live, I have to run XP in Parallels and minimize it. Why doesnt Apple release their own Msn, Yahoo - Compatiable messenger and slam Windows Live by making it look better and include even more features!

As far as i know video features work with propietary codecs, it helps the providers to keep their users from using other product(s).

I used to use Yahoo! and MSN to talk with my family, now i've changed to Skype, it is easy for me as i only use messenger for comunicating with my family, i have no friends...
Anyway, i wish i could give you a solution to your problem, but honestly i don't see it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you're missing? There are a lot of programs out there that I find to be compatible to messenger (Adium)... What do you like about msn so much?

My email is GMail actually but its verified with Microsoft Passport so I can use all MSN services (except Live Mail ofcourse). Is there any messenger for Mac that supports GMail (or even MSN) and has all the cool features like WebCam and winks? If so, I'll be glad to switch right away but I still would like to keep my E-Mail. Although I doubt there really is one.

Reaction score
I'd love to see what everyone comes up with here....I'd love to use MSN to chat with my parents since they refuse to join Skype!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
95 % of people I know are on MSN. Many people out there use MSN and thats a fact, if not, the majority then. So switching to .Mac or Skype is not an option here.

Microsoft should release a new version of the Messenger for Mac. Office: Mac is very similar to Windows Office (Except for the fact that we dont have Access, Publisher and Frontpage), so why not the Messenger?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thing out their that works with MSN that does say Video Chat is aMSN. I am sure it does not have some of what you are looking for, but at least it covers the video chat part on MSN. For the little I use MSN, Adium does just fine. You might give aMSN a try.

http://cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/

Reaction score
Adium is a lovely instant messenger but it has a few bugs with the msn network:

display pictures don't show up from msn live users

status messages don't appear

mobile contacts appear online after they have signed out

cannot send out custom smilies

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing out their that works with MSN that does say Video Chat is aMSN. I am sure it does not have some of what you are looking for, but at least it covers the video chat part on MSN. For the little I use MSN, Adium does just fine. You might give aMSN a try.

Nice program ! Thanks for sharing. Its got the nudge and webcam. The interface isnt as good as Microsoft's though but still its an improvement. If its this simple to add the WebCam and nudge feature why cant Microsoft just do it for the Mac one then? Or is this their way of saying "This is what you get for choosing Mac! You want the best, go Vista!! " lool

Apple should make a MSN-Capable Messenger. That will show em :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11

I agree - aMSN is the best mac MSN client I've used
Not used it for video as I don't have a web cam, but for features it's better than most of the competition. My favourite feature (a bit stalker-esque) is the one that tells you whether someone has removed you from their friends list but you've still got them on yours. You can also tell what version of MSN someone you're chatting to is using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
I'd love to see what everyone comes up with here....I'd love to use MSN to chat with my parents since they refuse to join Skype!

Why?? Skype is just a fantastic product! I've pretty much given up on both iChat and msn, as have most people I know. Seamless video chats, skypeout, a british landline even though i live in France for cheap calls for my folks, voicemail, call forwarding. Brilliant!!

Reaction score
Why?? Skype is just a fantastic product! I've pretty much given up on both iChat and msn, as have most people I know. Seamless video chats, skypeout, a british landline even though i live in France for cheap calls for my folks, voicemail, call forwarding. Brilliant!!

They own a PC, full of problems.....I think they are a bit scared to install anything further on it, in case it blows up. I've tried to suggest a Mac, but they won't have a bar of it :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sent them this:

"I have been using MSN messenger almost whole my life but recently made a switch to Mac and tried out the Microsoft Messenger but I noticed its missing many of the great features found on Windows Live Messenger and I was wondering why? I think more Mac users would be attracte towards using MSN services if only they would share the same features as Windows users such as WebCam and Nudges which I find quite useful. But unfortunately those 2 features are not found on the Mac Messenger. I think other cool features which you could add is the offline messaging which is also missing in Mac but found on Windows Live. I am still a Windows user and I run Windows Vista Ultimate using Apple BootCamp but I find it very inconvenient to restart my Mac everytime I want to video chat with someone using WIndows Live.

Thank You "

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.