Good digital SLR camera for $500-600?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good digital SLR camera so I can start taking pictures. This will be my 1st venture into photography and if it's not my niche I didn't spends tons of money on a camera. My budget is between $500-600 dollars. Thanks ~

EDIT: If any digital SLR not within that price range, then one for a beginner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
I'd look for a used Canon 20D or Nikon D70-D70s. You could easily find one in that range, or cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Check the Pentax K110D/K100D. I have a K110D and it is a great camera, it costs around $400 in BeachCamera (via Amazon), the main advantage is that you can use manual lenses with it which sell really cheap at places like KEH.
Canon and Nikon are the most popular brands in the market, but they are also more expensive than Pentax. Plus, if you get the K110D it has an image stabilization system integrated in the camera not in the lens as Canon and Nikon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTHR7U/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Refurbished Canon Digital Rebel XT. I got one for $450 with a kit lens, and it's an excellent camera. The kit lens isn't great, but honestly, I'd stick with it for a while before even thinking about other lenses. You will get satisfactory pictures with it, and it's great to learn on. You can get one new for around $550-$600, but honestly, I've no problems with my refurb.

I strongly recommend Adorama.com. They are very reliable, and at least as up to a couple days ago, had a couple refurb canons in stock. They're one of the most respected dealers used by professional photographers. Don't buy from a brick and mortar building, you'll most likely pay considerably more. Investigate whatever retailers you do use online, there are lots of scammers out there on these cameras.

I personally like Canon over Nikon, and I think they're easy to use, but this is something that is very personal to the photographer. People tend to be very brand loyal to one or the other. I would advise against going with any brand other than Canon or Nikon, however. Those two companies have literally owned the market, and when it comes to the future when you'll be buying lenses, accessories, etc. You'll be glad you're with them. Also, there over quality and product development has been going on much longer, and I think they give a better product in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I shoot Canon, I own a Digital Rebel (300d), an XTI (400d) and a 30d. The only one that's ever let me down is the 300d. It's on board flash is dead. I don't use the on board flash and the camers is about 3 years old I think, so it's not really an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
Sorry, posting error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you are looking for a new camera, take a look at the Nikon D40.
Otherwise, take a look at the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I second (or third?) the Rebel - getting a refurb is a good idea to save some money. Also check your local camera store for used ones - they often have good prices and you'll have a reliable place to go to for service in the future if/when needed.

Reaction score
Lots of good advice so far. If you go for the Canon Rebel with a kit lens, I think you will be satisfied. This camera and the others mentioned are DSLR cameras. For the most part, that means the lens can comes off and can be replaced with another. Kit lenses refers to the bottom level of the companies lens system. With Canon and Nikon what's offered in there system is "vast." When you decide which body and lens you want, you'll get the best value with used equipment. That statement comes with a caveat, though. I would deal ONLY with KEH as previously mentioned in another post. They are a very large and reparable company in Atlanta, GA. that deals primarily in used photography equipment. There equipment rating-system is very conservative and the're quite amiable to talk to over the phone. I have bought from them twice. I'm new to this forum and, at this point, I don't know how to add a hyperlink, so just Google KEH. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
You need about two good lenses first, most camera bodies will take a decent shot.

Typical beginners will have something like a 15-55mm, 70-200mm.

Everyone always focuses on the body, while the body is important, a good set of lenses will set you up for the next 5 or so years typically. The bodies become obselete at the technology improves.

Compact cameras are different to SLRs since the lens is fixed, therefore you can easily test if the camera is up to the job. With SLRs the kit lenses are usually low end. They'll take an ok shot, but not in as many different conditions as a decent lens.

Focus speed, edge sharpness, vignetting and aperture are all things you have to consider carefully at the low end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'm going to have to disagree on the 70-200mm recommendation. I'd say 6 months down the road, it'd be something good to buy. But, right now...get the body, use the kit lens, and truly learn photography with that lens. I've seen some pretty awesome shots taken with nothing but a kit lens, they are possible. Keeping something with minimal zoom will teach you the proper aspects of composition, whereas most new photographers want to get a hefty zoom right away, and then rely on that. Move your body to compose the shot, don't use a zoom. At least in the first learning stage. 6 months from now, then I'd upgrade the kit lens to get something around the 70-200 range, as well as a nice wide angle lens. Before you buy any lenses, I'd get a tripod or a unipod. Get one of those, and you'll be surprised at the improvement of your results.

As for retailers, I'll once again recommend Adorama.com. Very reputable dealer who has Refurbed Rebel XTs in stock. That KEH is a decent site also, but I find Adorama to be better to work with when it comes to people who are beginners to photography. Just my personal experience, both are very good sources.

Reaction score
Another vote for a Canon. I've got the Rebel XT and a 30D. The rebel is a great camera. I've had no problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If you are looking for a new camera, take a look at the Nikon D40.
Otherwise, take a look at the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT.
Bryan

D40 is cheap alright. If you don't have the money for anything else and absolutely want a Nikon, then buy it, other wise, stay away. It only will AF with lenses with a built in AF motor since the camera body doesn't have one, where as the D50 and every other Nikon will AF with almost any Nikon lens.

But I like me some Canons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Canon have more affordable lenses.

Nikon have some good lenses, there's one or two which canon can't quite match.

Some like the Nikon egonomics, others find Canon perfectly acceptable.

Nikon's produce noisier images below about 400-800 ISO. Canon's regularly produce usable images up until ISO 1600.

Canon produce their own sensors, Nikon are largely at the mercy of Sony.

Canon has full frame, Nikon does not.

Nothing is simple :)

My advice? get a Canon, 350D, 20D, 30D etc..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.