replaced hand stained macbook top

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
so i own a macbook. and it looks like crap. i figure i dumped 1100 bucks into this thing, and it should look like this. so i start doing a little research on the web. apparently apple is replacing the tops of our macbooks. why is no one really talking about this? i did a search and barely found anything about it here on the forum, but i found a ton of people complaining about their macbooks looking like crap.

sooooo, take it to the apple store and get it replaced. if you have applecare, its free. if you dont, and still are in your first year of owning the macbook, its free.

i took mine in this morning and the genius bar rep said the parts were in the store, and my macbook would be ready for pick up tomorrow. fast fix, new looking computer. take advantage of this.

HBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook CD 2.0ghz
Only works for the older ones, I believe they changed the material to be less porous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
so i own a macbook. and it looks like crap. i figure i dumped 1100 bucks into this thing, and it should look like this. so i start doing a little research on the web. apparently apple is replacing the tops of our macbooks. why is no one really talking about this? i did a search and barely found anything about it here on the forum, but i found a ton of people complaining about their macbooks looking like crap.

sooooo, take it to the apple store and get it replaced. if you have applecare, its free. if you dont, and still are in your first year of owning the macbook, its free.

i took mine in this morning and the genius bar rep said the parts were in the store, and my macbook would be ready for pick up tomorrow. fast fix, new looking computer. take advantage of this.

Could you please post the link to the website that you found? It would be ineresting to read that so I can have it as a reference when I go to the Apple store here in New Zealand (which is not many). Thanks.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
How stained was it? any chance you took a before pict?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I got mine done back in Feb/Mar(when ever the Apple Store opened in Southampton, UK) '07. I was suprised.

I went to a week old Apple Store in Southampton, UK. State my problem etc with the coloring issues. They agreed to change the screen bezel, and keyboard/trackpad area. They took all my details from when I had purchased the MacBook from Apple's webby site, They stated they'd call me when the parts were in.
So I pack my MB away in my protective sleeve and then into my bag. By this time the Genius Bar chap has gone! I nip just outside the store and into another store very close to buy a Prawn Mayo Sandwich and I get a call saying the parts are in!! Whoooaaaaa!
So I pop back. with sandwich! Left MB and went and found a seat outside the store. Just as I finish eating the Prawn Mayo Sandwich, I get another call. they'd done it. i popped back in and there she was all cellophane'd up looking like new. They even cleaned my screen.

Now thats service. All this within an hour on a Saturday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I got mine done back in Feb/Mar(when ever the Apple Store opened in Southampton, UK) '07. I was suprised.

I went to a week old Apple Store in Southampton, UK. State my problem etc with the coloring issues. They agreed to change the screen bezel, and keyboard/trackpad area. They took all my details from when I had purchased the MacBook from Apple's webby site, They stated they'd call me when the parts were in.
So I pack my MB away in my protective sleeve and then into my bag. By this time the Genius Bar chap has gone! I nip just outside the store and into another store very close to buy a Prawn Mayo Sandwich and I get a call saying the parts are in!! Whoooaaaaa!
So I pop back. with sandwich! Left MB and went and found a seat outside the store. Just as I finish eating the Prawn Mayo Sandwich, I get another call. they'd done it. i popped back in and there she was all cellophane'd up looking like new. They even cleaned my screen.

Now thats service. All this within an hour on a Saturday!

That's crazy! And now I want a prawn mayo sandwich. :(

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am unsure whether they do anything with the black macbooks. if it were the same plastic composet, just a different color they might. i talked to my friend that works at the apple store and he stated that certain oils and certain people's hands react differently on the plastic. apparently mine was one of those. as for how bad it was? it wasnt terrible, but from what i understand, the degree of staining isnt the issue. if you have the old plastic, they will replace it as they know its bound to have staining issues down the road. soooooo, get it replaced. heres a picture of the macbook before hand so you can see how it looked...

IMG_0009-2.jpg

might as well get it replaced while its free.

Reaction score
thats pretty bad, i had a differnt problem with a cracked bottom and a cracked palm rest area. Is it me, or is the quality of some of Apple's parts on the white macbook a bit questionable. I'm getting my palmrest replaced in a week, after just having the bottom replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
thats pretty bad, i had a differnt problem with a cracked bottom and a cracked palm rest area. Is it me, or is the quality of some of Apple's parts on the white macbook a bit questionable. I'm getting my palmrest replaced in a week, after just having the bottom replaced.

Its the cracked palm rests, magsafe power adapter and the above,staining issues that have me aprehensive about purchasing a macbook. maybe a replacement for the macbook is around the corner??? ( hopefully coming with leopard in october!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz, 512M RAM, 60GB HDD
Trip to Southampton store is inevitable me thinks! Not too far from me, so will be interesting to see if they replace it. Warranty runs out 1st June so need to get a move on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Yes get it done, and then get some of those wrist area protectors. To keep your mac looking sweet for years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.