• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

UK most unpopular for Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
After saying all this, I have never seen ANY of the Mac adds on TV.

That's because they're only shown at the cinema :)

PC World doesn't sell many Macs because the staff are useless when it comes to PCs, let alone anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
PC World doesn't sell many Macs because the staff are useless when it comes to PCs, let alone anything else.

Oh so true!!

I got my MacBook from John Lewis with my 12% discount :girl: I only know of 2 other people with a Mac. One of them was the guy who converted me. He sure knows how to sell something to me, it didn't take much I can tell you! I used his for about 10 minutes before I went out and made the switch. Not one regret!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Apple Stores
John Lewis
PC World all stock them

Spooks on BBC1 has Macs, the new one with Stepehn Fry (as rightly pointed out the King of Macs in the UK) and I've seen a couple of others.

I know quite a few people who have macs an dseem to see them around and about.

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
I think it is silly for Apple to limit their adverts to cinema. The iPod is TV advertised, and look at its popularity. The last time I saw an advert for Mac computers, was for the G3 - the ad with the guy staring through the shop window, and the Mac copying his expressions - a very good ad!
I think cinema adverts are lame. Too many people nipping to the loo, or trying to buy a KiaOra or Magnum, and you constantly having to stand up to let people past....how are you ever supposed to really take notice of whats on the screen......plus I only go to the cinema once or twice a year, so if my Mac purchase had depended on those ads, I'd still be pecking away at my now ancient "stained Glass" Windows.

Philip

Reaction score
Don't you think the best advert is actual personal experience andthat being passed around? I have been trying to decide to move to Mac but have some software packages I have to work round. However, last night rather decided things.

I had virtually no internet speed and things were jerky. A check showed a couple of processes taking nearly all the processing time and 2 extra users added to my machine too. Pulling the plug stopped the activity and a re-format this morning solved the rest, but this is not how computing is supposed to work.

While I start to count my pennies and get an order sorted, current Mac users just snigger a bit and feel a self-satisfied!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
The UK is currently the most popular mac-buying nation in europe, which is why the hq was moved to london from paris, though germany is catching up fast!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Everyone on my son's college course (here in the UK) has a mac including him as of this week - but then he is on a graphics design course!

John Lewis has had Macs for a while, and while that is a bit of a trek from rural East Yorkshire there are Mac resellers in York and Scarborough. We may be out in the sticks but we like our macs up here!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I think I read they are Building another Apple Store in West Midlands this time in Solihull, I assume it's off the Success of the Apple Store Birmingham which is always alot more packed than any other "techy" store in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
But is there really any need to advertise on TV? I mean they are mainly concentrating on web based advertising. I think most of the people who buy macs actually by them for a reason. Most of my friends who have no idea about computers would never even consider buying a mac, yep people who use the internet alot (techies) would.

Ive also noticed alot of advertising on the side of bus shelters and posters around, which is strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
John Lewis has had Macs for a while, and while that is a bit of a trek from rural East Yorkshire there are Mac resellers in York and Scarborough. We may be out in the sticks but we like our macs up here!!!

True!

I live about 12 miles from Scarborough and I can highly recommend the Apple dealer there. I travelled all the way to Meadowhall before I found out that we had one so close!....what a chump!!!

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - Mid 2007
And sometimes its nice to be a minority, I'm pretty sure thats one of the reason why the ZEN sells so well and other make mp3 players as people dont want to be like sheep.

It's ironic, the 'sheep' thing (i.e. being fed up with Windows and using it just because everybody else does) is one of the reasons I'm getting a MacBook (and obviously because they 'just work' and all that business), but also one of the reasons I bought a Zen as opposed to an iPod (as well as the fact that Napster - which I use - isn't compatible with iPods; proprietary file issues, I guess). Maybe you can have too much of a bad thing? I.e., the popularity of the iPod could be - albeit in a minority of cases, such as myself - a bad thing?

Also, we have an Apple shop in the West Quay shopping centre here in Southampton. I think I'll get my MacBook from there, just so that I can get my hands on it right away!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - Mid 2007
I searched for the post where it said that Macs are double the price in the UK. That may be the reason why they are not as popular as the US.
When I find the post, I will add here.

I think you may be right; I did a few comparisons between prices for example models (lowest end for each model, for simplicity) on the U.K. and U.S. Apple stores online and used XE.com's currency converter for currency rates. I found the following:

13" white MacBook 2.0GHz = £699 in U.K. store, $1099 in U.S. store; £699≈$1,380;

15" MacBook Pro 2.16GHz = £1,349 U.K., $1,999 U.S. (£1,099≈$2,170);

1.66GHz 'Combo Drive' Mac mini = £399 U.K., $599 U.S. (£399≈$790);

1.83GHz 17" iMac = £679 U.K., $999 U.S. (£679≈$1340);

'Suggested Configuration' Mac Pro = £1699 U.K., $2,499 U.S. (£1699≈$3370).

As you can see, the actual percentage difference in price varies between model. Still, it is obvious us Brits are getting a kind of bad deal, although I have to admit this hasn't put me off buying a MacBook. Even if it is preferable to Microsoft, Apple is still a business with responsibility to their shareholders. That's life, as they say.

Reaction score
Still, it is obvious us Brits are getting a kind of bad deal. . . .
Don't the U.K. prices include the VAT? U.S./Canadian prices don't, among other reasons because the sales taxes vary from state to state and province to province. So the various sales taxes must be added to the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - Mid 2007
Don't the U.K. prices include the VAT? U.S./Canadian prices don't, among other reasons because the sales taxes vary from state to state and province to province. So the various sales taxes must be added to the price.

That must be it; you have restored my faith in Apple! (Not that it needed restoring at all ;D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I am a UK mac user, my wife is a mac user (through having my old laptops lol), my brother is a mac user, my mum has a mac because my brother gave her his old one.

I went into the PC World and the salesman came upto me asking which one I liked. At the time I was looking at the 12 inch powerbook and he says that he likes the mac computers but thinks that they are a little overpriced so why dont I go and look at some of the PC laptops.

I just said that he is preaching to the wrong customer as I would never buy a windows computer for my leisure use. He then started asking what use did I get from it, I said to be fair, I surf the internet, chat, email and use the media apps that come with OSX like idvd, imovie, itunes etc.

He then tells me that he likes movie editing and uses some unheard of software (to me anyway) and said that he couldnt get this on a mac - I just said that Macs are probably the machine he needs and started to show him some of the stuff on the powerbook. He was amazed and thanked me because he said that he now could probably talk about macs a lot better and show people looking at the machines more of its features.

Anyway, the apple store opened up in Manchester and I have never been back to PC world ever!

I was in prague about 2 months ago and saw someone on a MBP and I was a little suprised as people say, you dont really see them much out and about.

Reaction score
I used to work at pc world for about 8 months and in that time i sold around 5 imacs/macbooks and to that i sold probably 60 pcs/laptops a week so thats about 2000 in 8 months now that is a big difference. People are scared in the UK because no one owns macs and if they do they know alot more about computers than the average buyer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2gb RAM, 200gb HDD, 2.0ghz CPU
I live in lincolnshire, and the college i attend, the media section is ust full of them

its constanly mac vs pc argument day xD but honestly, before i started college, i had never even seen a mac :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.