Resetting Admin Password

Reaction score
Hey guys! I got an iBook G4, with a 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 processor, 30 Gb HD, 512 MB Ram, w/Combo Drive from my uncle and im dying to use it! I have one BIG problem = No Admin Password available! He bought it off ebay second hand and the seller wont reply to his messeges. Ive tried multiple different ways of resetting the administrative password.

Attempt 1:

On boot i hold down Apple Button + S

Then i type ls /Users (press enter)

It then lists .DS_Store + .localized + Shared + admin + student

Using that list, i type passwd admin then press enter

Unfortunately all it says after that is localhost:/ root# as if what i typed meant nothing (I am new to macs so please correct me in any part of the process if needed)

Based on a thread on another site I read, I was supposed to see

New password:

But I didn't! :( So I tried another way...

Attempt 2:

I decided to buy Mac OS X 10.3 Install DVD 1 & CD 2 from eBay after I read in other sites that reinstalling the OS was the easiest way to reset the administrative password and regain controll of my priveledges.

After the install disc was inserted I wasn't allowed to install the new OS without the administrative password.

So I resetted the laptop and held down the Option key.

I was given the choices to acces the Macintosh HD, Apple hardware test, and eMac restore DVD

When I clicked on the eMac Restore DVD the screen turned black with a little black and white wheel spinning around the center (for the record: it's usually multicolored)

So next time i restarted the computer and pressed the Option key, I chose the Apple hardware test to see if that would work...NOPE!

I got a messege saying "Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine" and it gave me the choice to Shut down or Restart the laptop! EVIL!!!!!!!

I tried the process of holding down the option key then pressing eMac Restore DVD with my friends laptop and IT WORKED.

If there are other ways to try and reset the administrative password would you please let me know? Also, if there are multiple different kinds of iBook G4's please tell me why they are different. Is there a different kind of Install Disc I have to use for this iBook model?

FYI: This is the link to the page that has all the information on what kind of OS Install disk i bought on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190089317857

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, NewMacFan.

Ok this must have been said a bijillion times in these forums but...

1 - Never buy a Mac without its original disks that came with it. If you absolutely must...

2 - Be prepared to have to buy a full install disk of Mac OS X, NOT the disk kit that came with another Mac because these install disks are model-specific which means you cannot use them on another Mac. They simply will not work!

So looks like you'll have buy a full version of Mac OS X, preferably not earlier than Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. Earlier versions were unstable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
You can take it to your local apple store and set up an appt. with the Genius Bar. They have a backup of every os x install disks on a ext hd and they just start your computer using their version and reset the passwd.

Btw this belongs in the "osx operating system" forum. I posted the same question here and recieved an infraction. Just to let you know.

Good luck with your passwd issue.

OP
N
Reaction score
old post new question

Based on the replies i got after posting this i am wondering: Will the re-installation of Mac OS v.10.4 Tiger be able to replace the current panther on my laptop without adminstrative access? I will use the option-at-boot process i attempted with an older OS Install disc.. I will buy the official tiger OS from the apple store if you guys think/know it will work..

Hey guys! I got an iBook G4, with a 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 processor, 30 Gb HD, 512 MB Ram, w/Combo Drive from my uncle and im dying to use it! I have one BIG problem = No Admin Password available! He bought it off ebay second hand and the seller wont reply to his messeges. Ive tried multiple different ways of resetting the administrative password.

Attempt 1:

On boot i hold down Apple Button + S

Then i type ls /Users (press enter)

It then lists .DS_Store + .localized + Shared + admin + student

Using that list, i type passwd admin then press enter

Unfortunately all it says after that is localhost:/ root# as if what i typed meant nothing (I am new to macs so please correct me in any part of the process if needed)

Based on a thread on another site I read, I was supposed to see

New password:

But I didn't! :( So I tried another way...

Attempt 2:

I decided to buy Mac OS X 10.3 Install DVD 1 & CD 2 from eBay after I read in other sites that reinstalling the OS was the easiest way to reset the administrative password and regain controll of my priveledges.

After the install disc was inserted I wasn't allowed to install the new OS without the administrative password.

So I resetted the laptop and held down the Option key.

I was given the choices to acces the Macintosh HD, Apple hardware test, and eMac restore DVD

When I clicked on the eMac Restore DVD the screen turned black with a little black and white wheel spinning around the center (for the record: it's usually multicolored)

So next time i restarted the computer and pressed the Option key, I chose the Apple hardware test to see if that would work...NOPE!

I got a messege saying "Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine" and it gave me the choice to Shut down or Restart the laptop! EVIL!!!!!!!

I tried the process of holding down the option key then pressing eMac Restore DVD with my friends laptop and IT WORKED.

If there are other ways to try and reset the administrative password would you please let me know? Also, if there are multiple different kinds of iBook G4's please tell me why they are different. Is there a different kind of Install Disc I have to use for this iBook model?

FYI: This is the link to the page that has all the information on what kind of OS Install disk i bought on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190089317857

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I know it would be able to replace your current os. but seriously if you just make an appointment with a mac genius he/she will be able to recover your passwd for free without you having to replace you os.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.