Trouble Setting Up new router

Reaction score
Hi There

This is my first post so please be gentle.
I have recently purchasd a wireless router from Newlink. I'm having trouble connecting. I;ve checked and have the corrected IP,Router and DNS address. In system preferences it says it is connected vie built in ethernet but i'm still unable to get to any sites. I have connected the router set up, followed the set up instructions but still nothing although it does say 'DSL Line is Disconnected'. I'm no expert but that means nothing to me. Is it a compatablity issue with my G4 Power book (OSX V10.3.9)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who is your DSL provider? Do you know the brand of the DSL modem? Model number?

I know nothing about that brand of Router, but how do you have it hooked up? The DSL modem should be plugged into the WAN port on the back of the router and one of the LAN ports should go to the Powerbook. On SOME routers I have seen WAN called Internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
In system preferences it says it is connected vie built in ethernet but i'm still unable to get to any sites.

Just checking here. Have you got Airport turned on thats the Fan shaped icon in the menu bar. You don't need to connect the router via the ethernet card to use your Mac wirelessly. If you are trying to use both at the same time it may cause problems

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just checking here. Have you got Airport turned on thats the Fan shaped icon in the menu bar. You don't need to connect the router via the ethernet card to use your Mac wirelessly. If you are trying to use both at the same time it may cause problems

Very good point. If both are connected (WiFi and Ethernet) there could be issues.

I am wondering where he is seeing the message about DSL not connected? If the router is saying that in his browser he might have it plugged into the wrong port or the DSL Modem has it's own router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Don't forget to let us know how it goes..or doesn't as the case maybe :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.