12"Powerbook vs G5

B

blackbeagle

Hey guys,

I searched threw the posts the best I could before posting this... so if you have already seen this questions a million times I appologize in adavance.

I just finished selling off my iBook G3, and am now looking for a suitable replacement. One of the only reasons I sold it, was 'cause I tried to install/run some software that 'required a g4' processor. (also, I think Final Cut would not allow me to export a certain type of mpeg video or something like that... like it was missing required hardware). This was like one year after purchasing the ibook. So my question is, if I get a fully stocked 12" G4 PowerBook (w/superdrive), will it too be 'insuficient' within one years time?
Reason I ask, is because I am considering a stand alone G5 system. (similar setup up, only it costs like 80 bucks less than the powerbook).
(can you upgrade a single processor G5 to a dual? or do you need to buy a whole new system when it comes to that?)
Basically, i'm looking at 12" option of powerbook, because when I'm 'not mobile', the system will be hooked up to external monitor, keyboard and mouse, so it's screen size is irrelevant to me.

To give you an idea of what I'm doing... mostly video editing and dvd authoring. The last thing I want is to get a powerbook, only to find out that in 2005, the latest version of FinalCut Pro, or DVD Pro will ONLY work on a G5.
Does anyone know when the new PowerMac models are usually released?

Thanks for you time,

James

OP
T

TylerMoney

you're able to get a g5 tower for 80 bucks less than a 12" powerbook? That's pretty unheard of. the 12" powerbook starts at like 1600 bucks or something like that....I'm pretty sure the 1.6 g5 is at lest 500 bucks more than that. If so, that's pretty sweet. But, they just updated the powerbooks, so you should be fine with it for a long time.

OP
B

blackbeagle

The G5 System is actually $85.00 cheaper than the ibook, please find the below comparisons:

The G5 System I'm looking at:

• 1.6GHz PowerPC G5
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x256
• 80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
• 56k V.92 internal modem
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
• Mac OS X - U.S. English
• APP for Power Mac (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit

Price $3,063.00
Promo Savings -$70.00 (RAM upgrade promotion)

Subtotal $2,993.00

The 12" Power Book System:

• 512MB DDR333 (256MB built-in + 256MB SO-DIMM)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit
• 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
• NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 with 64MB DDR Video Memory
• 12.1-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $3,078.00

Please note, these are Canadian Funds... and both systems are equiped with extended AppleCare. (I got appleCare for my iBook, and have since used it twice... one of those times was to replce the logic board about over a year after buying it, so it was well worth the investment)

TylerMoney said:
you're able to get a g5 tower for 80 bucks less than a 12" powerbook? That's pretty unheard of. the 12" powerbook starts at like 1600 bucks or something like that....I'm pretty sure the 1.6 g5 is at lest 500 bucks more than that. If so, that's pretty sweet. But, they just updated the powerbooks, so you should be fine with it for a long time.

OP
S

socialpest

i love my 12" powerbook. at home i plug it into a 15" flatscreen monitor and an external drive to increase my desk/disk space. the size is so portable yet robust. I have the 1Gb version and it is plenty fast enough for my web design needs. my next purchase will be more memory. it also keeps your hands warm : ) a G5 is cool but not for working whilst on the train.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah - a thought I aways consider -- how many people are gonna really need G5 performance in a laptop? I don't think they mad Hulk on the bus to the gorcery store :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
If it were me, I'd go w/ the G5 because not only does it have a faster processor, it also has a larger harddrive, let alone a faster one at that. but the only draw back would be the idea of not being mobile. I guess that's all it comes down to, whether or not you need to go places with your mac. but that's just my .02

EY

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.