and wifi, its not making any sence!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 core2duo 2.16 2gb
I just installed Ubuntu on my mbp 15" everything worked fine. the wifi didnt work using WPA but it worked without security, which was fine. I installed Ubuntu bcz i was not able to connect to my wifi with OSX, some router issues. Now to the real story, after installing Ubuntu 7.04 i decided to restart to osx, started normally, then guess what? MY WIFI IN OSX STARTED WORKING! using WPA security! i dont realy understand. im sending this email from my bed right now. can someone explain this please?

thanks ;)

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just installed Ubuntu on my mbp 15" everything worked fine. the wifi didnt work using WPA but it worked without security, which was fine. I installed Ubuntu bcz i was not able to connect to my wifi with OSX, some router issues. Now to the real story, after installing Ubuntu 7.04 i decided to restart to osx, started normally, then guess what? MY WIFI IN OSX STARTED WORKING! using WPA security! i dont realy understand. im sending this email from my bed right now. can someone explain this please?

thanks ;)

Regards.

Ubuntu introduces a whole new set of variables into the equation, so let's start with OS X and forget Ubuntu for the moment.

What kind of router are you using and do you have all of the Software Updates installed on your MacBook Pro at this point?

OP
comthre3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im using an SMC router. this makes no sense at all. it never used to work before. i've installed all the updates for the mac and updated the routers firmware too. it didnt work, now after installing ubuntu on another partition it started working on mac os x? i really dont understand this. the wifi is working fine so far. I've insatlled the latest updates then used http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=586762&tstart=0 this method to reverse my upgrade to the old airport firmware. it didnt work then even, its only after the ubuntu that it started working. i've had this laptop for 2 weeks now. its the first time that im connected to my wifi router today ;) im happy

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im using an SMC router. this makes no sense at all. it never used to work before. i've installed all the updates for the mac and updated the routers firmware too. it didnt work, now after installing ubuntu on another partition it started working on mac os x? i really dont understand this. the wifi is working fine so far. I've insatlled the latest updates then used http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=586762&tstart=0 this method to reverse my upgrade to the old airport firmware. it didnt work then even, its only after the ubuntu that it started working. i've had this laptop for 2 weeks now. its the first time that im connected to my wifi router today ;) im happy

That doesn't make much sense to me either - but then, I wasn't looking over your shoulder to see what tweaks you were making, and I don't really know how you have your router configured at this point.

My natural inclination would be to tell you to switch over to WPA2 instead of WPA if it's available, but frankly, it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

Let's see how it goes and if it doesn't stay "fixed", we'll troubleshoot further.

OP
comthre3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im afraid to turn off the laptop now :p i really dont understand what happened, its a miracle i think ;) thanx for the quick reply btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
im afraid to turn off the laptop now :p i really dont understand what happened, its a miracle i think ;) thanx for the quick reply btw.

Wow, a GOOD post concerning a MacBook Pro and Wifi.

Kudos

OP
comthre3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is so weird. just turned on my mbp, and the wifi didnt work. restarted, ran ubuntu. then restarted to osx and the wifi was working. this is just freaky

Ninjab3ar, didnt get what ur trying to say :) can u elaborate please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.