Windows Vista restarts at startup

Reaction score
I wrote a similar problem a few months back concerning Windows XP always restarting when I go into it through bootcamp. Now Vista is doing the same, its crazy! Basically, in short, I startup windows, everythings fine till I get to my desktop. Everything starts to load, i.e. network, AVG etc etc in the taskbar but randomly, it just restarts. So I try to go back into it again after the restart, then it still don't work. After a few manual restarts it decides to load everything and work fine...why is this? I had this problem with XP, now with Vista. I'm thinking its my hard drive, but I don't have a clue.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wrote a similar problem a few months back concerning Windows XP always restarting when I go into it through bootcamp. Now Vista is doing the same, its crazy! Basically, in short, I startup windows, everythings fine till I get to my desktop. Everything starts to load, i.e. network, AVG etc etc in the taskbar but randomly, it just restarts. So I try to go back into it again after the restart, then it still don't work. After a few manual restarts it decides to load everything and work fine...why is this? I had this problem with XP, now with Vista. I'm thinking its my hard drive, but I don't have a clue.

What's likely happening is that Vista and/or XP are doing a "blue screen of death" (also known as a "BSOD"), which is what happens when the operating system crashes fatally. By default, Windows is set to automatically reboot in the event of a BSOD. You can turn this feature off to be able to see the root cause of the BSOD by starting in safe mode (hit F8 just before the Windows splash screen comes up) then right-clicking the My Computer icon, going to the Advanced tab and clicking on the "Startup and Recovery" settings button. Uncheck the "automatically restart" option. This procedure is for Windows XP, it should be similar for Vista (I can't test at the moment).

The next time Windows crashes, you will see a blue screen with white lettering and an error message. You can use that message to determine the nature of the crash. Most typically, BSODs are caused by improperly installed or badly written drivers. You may want to try starting Windows in safe mode and removing the Apple drivers. Then reinstall and make sure you "OK" the installation of the drivers even if XP/Vista says that they are "unsigned" or "unsafe".

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, tried everything you said above but it still happens? It took me 10 times today before i could actually use Vista. I don't know whats wrong, even the Apple store won't help me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, tried everything you said above but it still happens? It took me 10 times today before i could actually use Vista. I don't know whats wrong, even the Apple store won't help me.

Are you using the latest version of the Bootcamp Windows drivers?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yea I am, thats whats baffled me. Its happened in XP, and now with Vista..I'm starting to think that its not the drivers, its something else...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I am, thats whats baffled me. Its happened in XP, and now with Vista..I'm starting to think that its not the drivers, its something else...

What kind of memory modules are you using - something aftermarket?

OP
D
Reaction score
no, I bought this standard from the Apple shop...my house mate thinks it could be my hard driven not liking having Vista...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, I bought this standard from the Apple shop...my house mate thinks it could be my hard driven not liking having Vista...

Unlikely, hard drives don't discriminate between operating systems. If you had a bad hard drive, you'd be having trouble with OS X too. My guess is that you are having a driver installation issue, it's just hard to pinpoint without looking at your machine.

Are you certain that the drivers installed properly after you finished installing XP (and Vista), using the newest version of Bootcamp (1.2)? This really seems like a driver issue to me.

You can also open up Event Viewer (in Windows, Start -> Run, type: eventvwr) and see if there's a smoking gun in there.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yea everything was installed really well. I'm not so sure about this event viewer thing, never used it before, what exactly do I do?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea everything was installed really well. I'm not so sure about this event viewer thing, never used it before, what exactly do I do?

Event Viewer is the Windows program used to view the Windows event logs. Windows keeps logs (much like OS X) of happenings "behind the scenes", these include both success and failures of certain events. Viewing the event logs can give you some insight on what is happening with Windows when there is a problem. To open the Event Viewer, the easiest way is to click Start, click Run and then type:

eventvwr

...in the Run field. Hit the Enter key and this will open the event logs. You'll see three logs, Applications, System and Security. The one I'd pay most attention to is the System log. If you see lots of red Xs, pay careful attention to those items. Open them and if they look unfamiliar, Google the message to try to ascertain what the problem is.

OP
D
Reaction score
wow, I see a lot of red X's and warnings mate...dam theres loads in the Application section..theres no security section, unless i'm blind. It ranges from errors in Apple updates to Windows Audit, loads more I don't understand...not sure what to do now...how about reinstalling the drivers?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, I see a lot of red X's and warnings mate...dam theres loads in the Application section..theres no security section, unless i'm blind. It ranges from errors in Apple updates to Windows Audit, loads more I don't understand...not sure what to do now...how about reinstalling the drivers?

That would be what I'd try. Make sure you're using the Bootcamp 1.2 driver CD and when you go to install them, make sure you answer the prompts affirmatively when it asks if you want to install "potentially unsafe" or "unsigned" drivers.

OP
D
Reaction score
Tried reinstalling and the same problem persists...not to worry mate thanks for the help anyway, I don't think I can do much

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.