start up time

Reaction score
mines about 40 seconds iv had it for about a month but it has always been this long , is it average?? but im sure before i bought one i read somewhere it started up in 15 seconds or am i being a stupid ? cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
You should feel lucky. The time for my iBook is about 5-10 minutes. I'd kill for 40 seconds!!!

Reaction score
40 seconds is very good, even for the Intel machines. It will slow down as your hard-drive fills up, though. So keep your drives clean frequently.

Reaction score
Five to 10 minutes? Something's wrong, obviously. I have a dual 1 GHz G4, and I just timed it from off to usable. With a couple of doodad startup items, it took a shade over 44 seconds. Not a portable, but I'm trying to defend the honour of G4s everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD
I clocked it at 30 seconds when I first got the MacBook w/ 1 GB ram. Now it's 25 seconds with 2 GB ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Five to 10 minutes? Something's wrong, obviously. I have a dual 1 GHz G4, and I just timed it from off to usable. With a couple of doodad startup items, it took a shade over 44 seconds. Not a portable, but I'm trying to defend the honour of G4s everywhere.

Yes, MINUTES. From the time I push the button, it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to stop "thinking" when it reaches the desktop. The grayish Apple screen with the circle spinner thing stays up for about 3 minutes, then another 3 or more on the "Loading Mac OS X" screen. Then about 2 for it to stop clicking on the desktop. We start the process of clicking and "thinking" all over again when I launch my Apps. I just click Safari, iChat, iTunes, and Mail all at the same time so I can just get it over with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You should feel lucky. The time for my iBook is about 5-10 minutes. I'd kill for 40 seconds!!!
When was the last time you let the maintenance scripts run?
When was the last time you cleared out system caches?
What do you have in your startup items?
How many items do you have on your Desktop at any given time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
My startups were slowing down, but then I ran Onyx and it cleared the problem right up. Our very own Pulse-8 has created the easiest to follow guide on how to use the program, and those instructions can be found here. Don't worry, Pulse may have offended the unit as a whole, but he still made the easiest to follow instructions I've ever read. I'm just kidding about offending us, Pulse. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y:
1. I don't know what that is, but I have used MainMenu and OnyX
2. 5 days ago, with MainMenu. I don't like to do that because I have to re-login to everything,
3. None
4. I have Macintosh HD and that is it.

Here is a picture of my desktop at any given time:
Picture1-27.png

Customer:
I ran OnyX and let it do everything it could. Nothing has seemed to help.

Thank you both!!! :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
That does seem just a touch slow....mine is 20 seconds until I can start opening and using programs.
In a windows machine there are lots of programs which have secretly put scrpits that run when you boot up. My windows laptop, which is not as modern as my MBP, takes about 2 minutes to load.
You are running a bare bones basic system by the look of things. I would be inclined to take it to shop you bought it from and have them take a quick peek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
If it's really a problem, you can reinstall OS X. But that should only be done under EXTREME circumstances, or so I've heard. I've never done a reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
mine is fast i will time later but when my hard drive had only like 5gb left it was very slow my mac is a macbook 2ghz and 2gb and now i have the 100gb hard drive it flys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, MINUTES. From the time I push the button, it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to stop "thinking" when it reaches the desktop. The grayish Apple screen with the circle spinner thing stays up for about 3 minutes, then another 3 or more on the "Loading Mac OS X" screen. Then about 2 for it to stop clicking on the desktop. We start the process of clicking and "thinking" all over again when I launch my Apps. I just click Safari, iChat, iTunes, and Mail all at the same time so I can just get it over with.

What do you mean by clicking? Is it an actual noise your computer is making or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, like the "thinking" sound that any computer makes when opening an application or doing something "strenuous." That is the best way I know of to describe the sound. If it helps, it is coming from the left side of the computer, right under my palm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sort of like a light grinding noise? Or is it a sharper clicking noise, like a fast tapping?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You know, like the "thinking" sound that any computer makes when opening an application or doing something "strenuous." That is the best way I know of to describe the sound. If it helps, it is coming from the left side of the computer, right under my palm.
That sounds more like a bad hard drive. The area you described is where the HD is located.
I had a G4 iBook 14" some time ago and I had a similar issue. I had the HD replaced and never had a problem after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds more like a bad hard drive. The area you described is where the HD is located.
I had a G4 iBook 14" some time ago and I had a similar issue. I had the HD replaced and never had a problem after that.

That's what I'm thinking, but it could very well be just a loud hard drive. There is a distinct difference between a loud drive (grinding) and a dying one (clicking)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It didn't do it *much* when new, but now it does it a LOT whenever opening an application, sometimes moving the cursor if it's been idle for a while, clicking on something in the menu bar, scrolling with images on a page, or especially loading .pdf pages. I just had it to the Apple store two weeks ago before the warranty ran out, and they said it (the RAM, which is what they focused on and tested) was fine. Am I just expecting too much here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's been making more noise than when you first got it, then that is most definitely a dying hard drive. You should backup everything important ASAP and get the drive replaced. It is practically a time bomb waiting to explode. One day instead of taking 5-10 minutes, it just won't turn on at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh goody. How do I go about backing up things? I don't save things that are not important, so pretty much everything on here is important. If I get a new drive, won't I have to reinstall everything I've put on here and reset all my specs and redo pretty much everything from scratch? Like redo my bookmarks list in Safari and my Buddy List in iChat??? I can see this is going to be a fun task....... :(

Would it be worth my time and save me a headache just to buy a new computer and be done with it???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.