What Good is a Dead G4?

Reaction score
My iMac G4 died. Specifically, the logic board died. My G4 is the beautiful model that's half a sphere with a stalk sticking out of it. I hate to see it like this. Having little choice -- I can't live without a computer -- I bought a new G5 Intel iMac machine thing. It is a delight.

Just before my G4's logic board died, I got the screen replaced. (It was still under warrantee.) So it seems sad to have a dead screen like that -- going to waste.

Is there any way for me to hook up the G4's screen to my g5, so I have dual monitor capabilities? Or is this so utterly impossible for me to achieve as a fairly naive user that I should just give up, and use my G4 as a doorstop?

(Hint: I don't even have the tools to open my G4, let alone understand what's going on inside of it.)

It's just a thought. I've always dreamed of having the multi-flat-screen system of CSI.

Thanks for your sympathy, mockery, etc.

Nik
http://www.nikart.ca

M

MacHeadCase

Mockery? I hope not. :flower:

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Nikolaus_Maack! I'm not sure about how you could use that G4 iMac screen with the Intel iMac though. I've googled for this just now and it seems impossible to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
at least scavenge the hard drive and use it to store all of you music or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I doubt it is possible. The power most likely is routed into the logic board and then some is used to power the screen.
Bryan

OP
N
Reaction score
Bummer

I figured it wasn't doable. It just seems sad.

When I brought the G4 into the shop with a dead screen, they were telling me it just wasn't worth the expense to fix it. Which is when I told them it was still under warrantee and they changed their tune.

A few weeks later, the logic board died -- no longer under warrantee.

Alas.

Nik
http://www.nikart.ca

Reaction score
There are logic board upgrades, they are a little expensive but it is possible. Also, you can get parts rigs cheap on ebay some times. If nothing else, the dead iMac is worth quite a bit in parts. The screen would fetch a fair price still, the neck posts are quite expensive new, there is ram and an optical drive that likely still work. A dead computer is a little demoralizing but its not all doom and gloom, you might try posting G4 spare parts in the buy sell trade forum.

M

MacHeadCase

Excellent idea, jakeroberts!

Or you could do the reverse and look around for parts in eBay and get a logic board that way. Just make sure it's from the exact same model as yours (i.e. same CPU).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Your new iMac isn't a G5 btw - it's an Intel. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Your new iMac isn't a G5 btw - it's an Intel. :black:

He could have meant he just bought it (that doesn't necessarily mean it is a new unit.)
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.