Firefox Bookmarks

Reaction score
I use Firefox on both my Sony Vaio PC and my new iMac. On the PC, when I bookmark a website it is saved in a list which appears in alphabetical order. This is not the case with my iMac and the longer my list of bookmarked sites becomes, the more difficult it is find what I want. There seems to be no way of rearranging the order in "Manage Bookmarks". There might well be a simple answer to this, but I can't see it and it is becoming a little "irksome".

Colin

P.S. After a difficult start I am now absolutely loving the iMac and reckon that my four year old Vaio is due for an "early grave" in favour of a MB Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I think you can sort them in 'view' under organize bookmarks?

Reaction score
Colin, I use Firefox as well... there's a plug-in called Foxmarks (google it), and it keeps my browsers synced on all my computers (PC and macs). Cheers

Reaction score
On the PC, when I bookmark a website it is saved in a list which appears in alphabetical order. This is not the case with my iMac and the longer my list of bookmarked sites becomes, the more difficult it is find what I want.
Trying to sort Mozilla's bookmarks on a Mac has been goofy since the Year 1. I long ago gave up — way before OS X.

I leave the setting on Unsorted and keep the bookmarks in alphabetical order myself. Otherwise, stand-alone websites get lost between folders of websites, and alphabetical order is meaningless.

To keep the list of bookmarks manageable, I've divided them into four folders: A — F, G — L, M — R, and S — Z. I may have used another browser to get them in alphabetical order the first time, then imported them. But it was at eight or 10 years ago, so I can't remember :) (I started with A — M and N — Z).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
What's the problem?

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks

The bookmarks on the right pane you organize by moving them around in the list. (click on the containing folder on the left to see them)

Reaction score
The standalone bookmarks, those not in folders, don't show up in the left pane. They do in the sidebar, but the sidebar version is as screwed up as the drop-downs.

OP
Colin Key
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. This is certainly not an intuitive procedure. If I go to "Bookmarks" > "Organise Bookmarks" and click "Name" in right-hand pane then the folders appear in alphabetical order in both left and right panes. On closing "Organise Bookmarks" and then selecting "Bookmarks" from the Firefox menu bar the folders still appear in random order. Is there no way of retaining alphabetical order in the drop-down "Bookmarks"?

Colin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OH I see...

The contents of the highlighted item on the left are shown on the right - regardless if you expand that container on the left. So it is possible to see the same items in the left and right pane at the same time.

Click the title of the column until the arrow disappears. Then you'll have an un sorted list. Arrange your items as you wish. That is how they'll appear in the menus. There is no automatic sorting option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The standalone bookmarks, those not in folders, don't show up in the left pane. They do in the sidebar, but the sidebar version is as screwed up as the drop-downs.

The left pane is for containers, not bookmarks. click on the top level item "Bookmarks" to see those standalone bookmarks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.