MacOS X corrupts Fonts!!!???

S

Shaqui

Our studio has just simultaneously upgraded to MacOSX, Quark 6, Acrobat 6 and Suitcase 11. And have we got problems!

Fonts which are fine on one Mac either can't be seen in the Suitcase preview (and therefore disappear in Quark documents), and now some subsets of the fonts are appearing solely as foreign character substitutes! Just Garamond Bold and Bold Italic out of the whole font! Why!!!???

Suitcase says the font isn't corrupted. I install the original font from the CD and the same thing happens. Instinct tells me this is either a system or Suitcase problem... but I can't solve it, I'm losing time to deadlines, and slowly going nuts.

Help!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Suitcase and Quark are not very good for OS X.. well Quark is not very good period :) How are you transferring the fonts from mac to mac since some fonts are ok on different macs...

OP
T

TylerMoney

Yes, this is where you go, "oh, hmm..better get rid of quark." And as for the suitcase....well....hmmm....my fonts work fine?......?....yeah....I don't know...it shouldn't do that.....I expect it from quark, but not from suitecase necisarily, though I haven't really used it much at all.

OP
S

Shaqui

Well being a print management studio we don't have any option but to use Quark, and Quark 6.0 now as one of our clients has been providing documents in that format.

I'd love us to have InDesign as an option but the budget was being stretched at the £3000 it cost to get Quark 6 alone for the entire studio...

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Isn't there a Quark to InDesign converter? Yeah that is an extreme price.. too bad there wasnt an even larger shop that you could send hte Quark file to, to have it converted then just use Indesign.. I havent had any problems with fonts, good luck with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
have you tried using Fontbook with Quark? Does it do the same thing?

OP
A

aratcliffe

hype.it said:
have you tried using Fontbook with Quark? Does it do the same thing?

When we converted to OSX tried using fontbook in a production environment and it was a total waste of time with quark and other apps. So ended up buying Suitcase, which still has problems but was a dream compared with fontbook. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow! been away all this time and no witeshark.... must be ill :D

OP
P

prepster

Been having the identical problem as Shaqui... with a twist: The Suitcase X1 HELP utility displays all the text characters as tiny rectangular boxes! (Is this Extensis humor?) The 'gibberish' character set issue has, at least, gone away. I envy anyone who's had "no problem" with fonts in OSX, Quark 6.0, Font Book, Suitcase, younameit. I had pinned my hopes on John Kerry and Font Doctor to fix things up. Right! We are an in-plant prep dept. with lots of fonts coming and going -- I'm sure that doesn't help. Any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Sorry I can't help with Quark etc but just a quick note about fonts for others.
OSX cannot use the old bitmapped fonts from OS9 and earlier.
OSX uses True Type, Post Script type 1 and Open Type which was developed by MS & Adobe and are common on Windows machines.
Downloading the old Mac fonts is a waste of time, try the Windows ones ;)
Take Care

OP
P

prepster

Well.... answered my own question. When in doubt, call tech support. A caffeinated young lady at Extensis told me to empty the OSX Library Fonts folders, search and trash AdobeFNT files, and download and run a utility to delete font caches. Oh, uh, and restart. We're all smiles here.

OP
P

pedrothekevin

If Quark was as bad as you all say it is, the industry wouldn't be using it primarily for so many years. I've never had any problems with it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think she/he is speaking of the current version. I have read in many places that version six is not worth the upgrade and that many people are moving to Indesign.

OP
M

msgraphik

pedrothekevin said:
If Quark was as bad as you all say it is, the industry wouldn't be using it primarily for so many years. I've never had any problems with it.
Here is a problem.
Try using "outline" in the fonts pallette. The centers of the fonts are no longer white they become transparent (seen on a color background). See my posting. This happens only on Macs OSX with Quark 6.0 & 6.1 with all updates installed too. Quark has duplicated this problem and at this time have no answers. Works fine on a PC.
If you select "shadow" all is as it should be. I use Quark religiously too in the printing industry. I love it but there is always a bug! They are soo obvious too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.