Hard drive is extremely noisy

Reaction score

The hard drive (500gb) that my MacPro shipped with is just plain LOUD. My attempt to describe it is, a metallic / etching / thin / unhealthy sound, and when the drive is under a lot of strain I almost feel I need to back away from the computer for fear it is going to explode. People in the other room can hear this thing sometimes—I am getting a complex.

Does this seem consistent amongst MacPro's, or am I the owner of a faulty drive?

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

The hard drive (500gb) that my MacPro shipped with is just plain LOUD. My attempt to describe it is, a metallic / etching / thin / unhealthy sound, and when the drive is under a lot of strain I almost feel I need to back away from the computer for fear it is going to explode. People in the other room can hear this thing sometimes—I am getting a complex.

Does this seem consistent amongst MacPro's, or am I the owner of a faulty drive?

thanks

Do you know what brand and model the drive is? Just curious. That sounds like it's a bit loud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
If your Macbook pro is new I'd call Apple... I'd call them anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I have a Mac Pro at work with 1.75 terrabytes of strorage inside(several drives). It is not noisey at all so I would have to say, TAKE IT BACK. You have a faulty drive or fan perhaps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.