Network Monitoring on OSX

Reaction score
Hi,
i need some help finding some software to monitor the amount of data my computer downloads (me and my housemates split our internet bill based on usage). basically i need a program (prefer free) that will monitor how much i download and upload and log this/ show this between certain dates.

looking in activity monitor in utilities i see that each time i use the computer the amount of data downloaded is recorded but it resets every time i restart the computer. is there anyway of maybe recording this number to log file so i can add it up at the end of the month?

any help appreciated as i have been trawling the web for hours!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi,
i need some help finding some software to monitor the amount of data my computer downloads (me and my housemates split our internet bill based on usage). basically i need a program (prefer free) that will monitor how much i download and upload and log this/ show this between certain dates.

looking in activity monitor in utilities i see that each time i use the computer the amount of data downloaded is recorded but it resets every time i restart the computer. is there anyway of maybe recording this number to log file so i can add it up at the end of the month?

any help appreciated as i have been trawling the web for hours!!!

Open Applications, Utilities and launch the Activity Monitor. Click the Network Tab. That should give you what you are after.

It does not give a date though.

Picture 3.jpg

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks for the reply but it wasnt really what i was looking for. i know that the activity monitor page has a usage meter but it resets each time you reset the computer. is there anyway to log this somehow (applescript? automater? ) so that i can add up the totals?

i also have the istat widget which displays the same data shown in activity monitor but again no way to log the data.

any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.