Just double checking.. I can't upgrade my Mac?

Reaction score
If I get a Mac Pro, quad core, and decide a year and a half later that I want it to be octo core, I'm screwed, right? I mean.. Apple doesn't have any sort of upgrade plan? Man, that kinda bugs me. But maybe the quad core will be screaming fast, and I won't need a CPU upgrade until another five or six years passes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, there is a pretty good chance you will be able to. Barring the next Gen chips being pinned different from the ones in you machine now....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
C
Reaction score
Wow. Awesome. Though I'll bet this voids the warranty and voids AppleCare. :) So I would probably only do this outside the three year warranty period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
.... I won't need a CPU upgrade until another five or six years passes.
That is pretty much the case.
I used to put a lot of time and effort into upgrading my Windows machines, but I have never really needed to do that with my Macs.
Adding RAM and maybe a new HD if you want more internal storage might become a benefit down the line, but things like the processor and graphics aren't an issue.
Macs don't always need major component increases with each new sotware update or new OS release like Windows machines tend to. Your Mac will last just fine the way it is when you buy it.

Sure, upgrading Windows machines can be fun and a cool thing to do, but this is a Mac. It just doesn't need it.
Modding and constantly upgrading is a more of a Windows thing, and not so much a Mac thing. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.